Luckless Ducker

Spifflove

Songster
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
Well I decided to start some flocks for self-reliance. But I soon leared that I didn't quite get what I wanted. I got a flock but now I rely on feed purchases; so no luck in self sufficiency.

Furthermore, in trying to narrow down my choices for Duck breeds I have come to the following list:
Saxony
Silver Applyeard
Metzer white layer
Muscovy
Pekin

So instead of one, simple breed, I walk into my backyard and tis "Quak Quak Quak!!!" =(

Concerning chicknes:
My first peck at chickens started with a dozen sex linked "farm chicks" that were supposed to be sexed but turned out to be sex-linked. The break down of their fate is as follows:
6: Died before pullet size
1: Drowned
2: Discovered to be roosters after they started crowing. Made interesting first chicken meal.
2: Killed by coyotes, including my valiant dominant roo.
1: Left. I have yet to cull it out of pity.

Total eggs produced from project of 6 months: One dozen.

My current flock:
10 Buff Orpington pullets, 3 roos
5 Silver Spritzelbaughns
An assortment of chicks: Brahma, Speckled Sussex, White rock, White Leghorns, and Golden Hamburgs.

Am am very confused at this point.

Greetings from Kansas, Spifflove, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us but sorry to hear you've had some tough luck with your flocks. In terms of self-sufficiency, I'm not sure how many backyard chicken and duck raisers have self-sufficiency in mind as the end game. Don't get me wrong - it is nice to have my own flock for meat and eggs. Feed, as you mentioned, keeps it from being a totally self-sufficient proposition. Personally, I take satisfaction in the fact that, although I purchase feed for them, my chickens and ducks provide me with eggs and meat....that if times got really tough, I would still have them as foragers on their own with me eating them as needed. Don't give up on your idea being self-sufficient...perhaps just refine it to being more self-sufficient than you were before. Good luck to you.

Greetings from Kansas, Spifflove, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us but sorry to hear you've had some tough luck with your flocks. In terms of self-sufficiency, I'm not sure how many backyard chicken and duck raisers have self-sufficiency in mind as the end game.
Thank you! That, and I didn't want my son to think that chickens came "from the grocery store!"

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. I personally would vote for muscovies.
Well I haven't excluded them yet. Mine are very cute with blue eyes and pink bills, still clean of caruncles. How they taste is key. Possibly just will keep a few for pest control and comic relief but not a dual-purpose duck. I suppose my "pink pekin" white layers and Muscovies would be a good combo. Nice banner.

I suppose I will have to learn gardening and aquaponics.

I didn't even mention my Duck Odyssey:
First I bought "Quackers" a Pekin from the feed store. She got eaten by a very beautiful fox.
Then I ordered 12 "Easter" ducklings from a feed store and he charged med $120!!
They turned out to be mixed strait run; I found out that means leftover males. Only two females in the batch; one is still alive; the other one you can guess what happened to her. Of the lot, I have 2 mallards (female, male); one Buff male, and one Blue Swedish I keep as pets. No egg.

Then I got 12 Pekin females having two males I thought. But they were ducks too!! Heh.

Back
Top Bottom