1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Luckless Ducker

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Spifflove, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Spifflove

Spifflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2012
    Well I decided to start some flocks for self-reliance. But I soon leared that I didn't quite get what I wanted. I got a flock but now I rely on feed purchases; so no luck in self sufficiency.

Furthermore, in trying to narrow down my choices for Duck breeds I have come to the following list:
    Saxony
    Silver Applyeard
    Metzer white layer
    Muscovy
    Pekin

So instead of one, simple breed, I walk into my backyard and tis "Quak Quak Quak!!!" =(

Concerning chicknes:
    My first peck at chickens started with a dozen sex linked "farm chicks" that were supposed to be sexed but turned out to be sex-linked. The break down of their fate is as follows:
    6: Died before pullet size
    1: Drowned
    2: Discovered to be roosters after they started crowing. Made interesting first chicken meal.
    2: Killed by coyotes, including my valiant dominant roo.
    1: Left. I have yet to cull it out of pity.

Total eggs produced from project of 6 months: One dozen.

My current flock:
    10 Buff Orpington pullets, 3 roos
    5 Silver Spritzelbaughns
    An assortment of chicks: Brahma, Speckled Sussex, White rock, White Leghorns, and Golden Hamburgs.

Am am very confused at this point.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Spifflove, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us but sorry to hear you've had some tough luck with your flocks. In terms of self-sufficiency, I'm not sure how many backyard chicken and duck raisers have self-sufficiency in mind as the end game. Don't get me wrong - it is nice to have my own flock for meat and eggs. Feed, as you mentioned, keeps it from being a totally self-sufficient proposition. Personally, I take satisfaction in the fact that, although I purchase feed for them, my chickens and ducks provide me with eggs and meat....that if times got really tough, I would still have them as foragers on their own with me eating them as needed. Don't give up on your idea being self-sufficient...perhaps just refine it to being more self-sufficient than you were before. Good luck to you.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. I personally would vote for muscovies.

4. Spifflove

Nov 13, 2012
    Thank you! That, and I didn't want my son to think that chickens came "from the grocery store!"

5. Spifflove

Nov 13, 2012
    Well I haven't excluded them yet. Mine are very cute with blue eyes and pink bills, still clean of caruncles. How they taste is key. Possibly just will keep a few for pest control and comic relief but not a dual-purpose duck. I suppose my "pink pekin" white layers and Muscovies would be a good combo. Nice banner.

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Welcome! Hopefully your way to self sufficiency will smooth out.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Dasp

Dasp Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Simi valley
    Hello nice store! Welcome!

9. Spifflove

Nov 13, 2012
    I suppose I will have to learn gardening and aquaponics.

I didn't even mention my Duck Odyssey:
    First I bought "Quackers" a Pekin from the feed store. She got eaten by a very beautiful fox.
    Then I ordered 12 "Easter" ducklings from a feed store and he charged med $120!!
    They turned out to be mixed strait run; I found out that means leftover males. Only two females in the batch; one is still alive; the other one you can guess what happened to her. Of the lot, I have 2 mallards (female, male); one Buff male, and one Blue Swedish I keep as pets. No egg.

Then I got 12 Pekin females having two males I thought. But they were ducks too!! Heh.

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by