Lucky me...

Might recognize me from my special needs chicken thread. I've gotten a lot of helpful tips from it and other articles I've been reading, just recently learned about bumble foot, but now that I'm looking... I noticed 2 different hens that like to balance on one foot at a time I thought nothing of it. It's winter the ground is cold, obviously! But I have a new hampshire red named Erza and she has looked like she is molting since November and now I'm looking at her feet and it's pudgy? Just on the pad of both feet. No black scabs, and it's not deformed looking. Am I just being that person that looked thru wiki medicine too long and now think I have 7 different diseases? Or is this actually it?
This is totally me. I have a neighbor that says “i’ve had over 50 chickens and i only had 2 that passed” and every chicken i get seems to either die of a injury or die of a disease. OR predator!

It makes no sense to me. :th

The poop is questionable there. When is the last time you dewormed her?
Does she have any lice/mites?
I'd consider deworming, Valbazen, dose is 0.08ml per pound of wieght given orally once, then rpeated in 10 days.
Is she still molting?
Any lice/mites?
I'd check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's emptying. If it's not, then I'd begin treating according to this article. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The minor scab on the foot is the beginning of Bumblefoot. I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but if you wish, you can work on it with a non-surgical approach as described in this article.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment-html/
Just had her poop tested. They say she had giardia. But I notice her poop is normal (I have her quarantined) so I think someone else in my flock is pooping nasty... :hmm

This is totally me. I have a neighbor that says “i’ve had over 50 chickens and i only had 2 that passed” and every chicken i get seems to either die of a injury or die of a disease. OR predator!

It makes no sense to me. :th
Right!? I have had chickens for 4 yrs now and the only thing I had to worry about was all the animals that wanted to eat them! I had coyotes, owls, eagles, and a black bear all taking a crack at them. I move away to a place where there is only crafty raccoons and a random bobcat and now all my chickens are getting sick!

Is yawning a normal behavior? She does it alot recently.

Looks like she is adjusting her crop which is a normal behavior. Is this the one that had the watery crop? Did you determine if it was sour crop or what? Won't hurt to check her mouth and throat for lesion or mucus but I think you'd see more consistent open mouthed breathing if that was a problem.

Just had her poop tested. They say she had giardia. But I notice her poop is normal (I have her quarantined) so I think someone else in my flock is pooping nasty...
Did they give you some medication to treat the giardia? If she's got it it's likely your whole flock does which could be causing the bad poop.

Moving is really hard on birds. First it's stressful which throws off their immune system and second they have to develop resistance to any new pathogens in the new environment (which is hard when the immune system is compromised).

My vet said to keep an eye on it. That sour crop is a concern to keep an eye out for. The giardia, he said not to worry about treating the whole flock. Just the one that did the bloody poop, since Erza was pooping normally. It has to be someone else. I've noticed my rooster was a bit lethargic today, he is my next suspect. Which will suck, because I just got this rooster and he is chill but does not let me near him yet. (Only had him for like 2 months)

And sadly... no I didn't quarantine him. My roommate/landlord gave him to me and kinda just... released him into the flock. I didn't have time to tell him I need to quarantine, luckily the hens didn't attack him. But he and my flock were all mingled before I could do anything.

I've been feeding her apple cider vinegar water, scrambled eggs, layer pellets, and sunflower seeds.

Just had her poop tested. They say she had giardia. But I notice her poop is normal (I have her quarantined) so I think someone else in my flock is pooping nasty... :hmm
In the video, she's adjusting her crop.

What did the vet give you to treat the Giardia?

He said keep an eye out for symptoms in her. But otherwise don't worry about it. He did say I needed to find the bird that pooped the crime scene the day I quarantined her tho.
People put dye at the tip of chicken vents to streak a egg with a color to find out who’s laying.

What if you did that? Just a little. It would color the poop.

Back
Top Bottom