Lufkin Zoo!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by ColbyNTX, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    If any of y'all are in East Texas near Lufkin and have never been to the Ellen Trout Zoo, stop by and see their peafowl. They have maybe 100 freerange peas all over the place. We went this afternoon and the hens have chicks all over the place. My wife and kids are looking at hippos, lions, crocs, ect and i'm watching all the hens with their chicks! Just watching them scratch around in the pine needles was quite a treat. I took a couple of pice but just with my iPhone,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. xlboergoats

xlboergoats Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Arp, Texas
    Those are nice pictures. Anytime that we are close to the Lufkin Zoo, we can hear the peafowl. I have never taken the time to visit because we are always showing goats or cattle in the Expo Center there. I did not know that they had so many peafowl, but there is no doubt that they have quite a few from the sound of things. I may have to make it a point to drop by there the next time we are in the area.

Thanks for sharing,
    Ernie

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Come on man, it's next door to the expo! [​IMG] It is a nice little zoo that is almost 100% shadded and only cost $5.00 to get in and has a train for the kids to ride around the place for a buck!

4. rockyspringsfarm

rockyspringsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2009
    Huntington, Texas
    I actually live about 10 miles south of Lufkin but since Lufkin is where we have to go to shop I have visited the zoo there several times over the years. They really do have some beautiful peacocks. Like Ernie said, most times out of area people are at the expo showing livestock and with that, there simply is not time to go to the zoo during the hours the zoo is open....You just about have to make a special trip just to the zoo....It is a nice visit !

Peggy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by