Injured Pea Hen

JMoses

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2021
Hello everyone. I need some advice. Here is a little back story. I found a very late hatch peafowl chick right before our very first cold snap here is West Tennessee. The pea hen wanted nothing to do with her and the other chick that was in the clutch I had already found dead. I brought the little one in and put her in our brooder and watched her. She seemed fine and has been growing very very well. About 6 weeks ago my wife went to put her out into the enclosed area of our yard for her first time out and about. I was on duty on the ambulance and was not there to help. Well my wife went to get the still fairly young pea hen out and well she went to flapping and carrying on and ended up having a significant skin tear under her wing from the fiasco. My wife got her back up and placed her back into the brooder box. (I call it a brooder box just because I don't know the proper term. It is a really big box with warmers that I built for larger birds that were still too young to go out.) We took care of her and she healed very well. I had been watching her and noted that there was something going on with her left leg. She wasn't bearing weight and did not seem to get around very well. Over this time she hasn't really improved and I have been reluctant to put her out. I did this morning though and noted that her left leg is still not right and she isn't really wanting to move around much. I picked her up and moved it a bit and it felt as though it may have adjusted back into place. She is still keeping really still but I left her in the yard in the sunshine. I am trying to give her some time to heal but I am wondering if I have given enough time and where to go from here?

Any ideas anyone??

image0.jpeg

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 4
I know the photos aren't that great. I have a short video that I am attempting to get to load up. I didn't have help to get a better photo. She moves her left leg out to the side when she attempts to walk.

I know the photos aren't that great. I have a short video that I am attempting to get to load up. I didn't have help to get a better photo. She moves her left leg out to the side when she attempts to walk.
Upload the video to youtube or Vimeo, then copy and past the link here.

Back
Top Bottom