Lumber prices are CRAY -Need Coop Advice

In our area, Home Depot and Lowe's have 'cull' piles, where pieces of unwanted wood end up (cut or ordered and not picked up, slightly irregular, etc.), and we have picked up some nice lumber for 70% off!

Might be worth it to check with your local sources to see if they have cull piles. It's definitely hit and miss, but if you can stop by periodically, it can really pay off.

OK, another option:
I just put a metal run from TSC together. The thing is heavy duty steel, and simple to set up. A dude on Youtube soloed the project, I suggest doing it with a helper.
Drawback: It has nothing but 4 walls and a roof - which is wire, not roofing.
It is a little bigger than the 8x8 foot advertized. You can do a lot with the usual lumber sizes. It will need a dig apron, for sure.
You can buy diverse roofing options from the hardware store, the mesh construction makes it easy to attach anything (I only have a tarp at this point, but consider major upgrades, and I just today put the chickens in!
I believe expansion kits can be bought for the setup to elongate the run, by 4 feet increments, I believe. If you have been to TSC during chicken days, you have likely seen the run!
One point though: the trucking company hired to deliver sent a fullsize semi with just a wee bit shorter cargo trailer. It was not going to fit into our neighborhood, plus it had no lift gate either. The package the cage came in was HEAVY!!! And little was packing material! They did transfer it from the truck to my pickup though at the store, no problem. Luckily the nearest location is less than 5 min from my house!

the dude is my hero for tackling this solo.
I am considering getting something to cover one half off. and perhaps getting real roofing options. maybe put a platform in about 3 feet up, to elevate the roosts, and create a dry spot for the feed. It got rained on where I thought it would be dry, but it was a downpour!

Back
Top Bottom