Lump next to Silkie chicks eye

Rb..twin beaks

In the Brooder
May 31, 2017
I hope someone can help me with this. Our two week-old silkie (who we hatched) has had this lump next to his eyes since hatching. I treat it 2x a day with a saline wash and neopolybac. I also try to massage the lump. It's very hard and I've seen no significant change. It does get gunky at times and her eye will swell shut. But for the most part she's able to open her eye. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 20170531_194519.jpg
    20170531_194519.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I would take a stab and say if it has been that way since hatching it is more than likely a genetic issue, nutritional or developmental issue.

If you have a regular vet, I would call and ask if they can give you some ciprofloxacin (Cipro) eye drops. Clean the eye and crust gently with saline eye drops or water, and remove any gunk with a QTip. Apply the eye drops twice a day. It could be a bacterial infection from hatch. E.coli is a common bacteria, and Cipro would probably help. If that is not possible, then try plain Neosporin, Polysporin, or Triple Antibiotic ointment. Here is a link online where they sell the eye drops, but it may take too long to get it to help:
http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store2/antibiotics/opthalmics/ciloxan-eye-drops.html

Back
Top Bottom