Lump on back of chicks neck/head

jflagler

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 24, 2016
Hello!
I'm suspecting that this is a cluster of ingrown feathers, but looking for some confirmation from the more veteran chicken owners. The chick is a Speckled Sussex that's ~20 days old. The lump is a little smaller than a dime and has a little give when pressure is applied but fairly solid. There were some larger chicks in the same brooding area that were recently removed. As I was moving the chicks out of the brooder so I could clean it out, I was looking them over to see if there were any issues and spotted this on one chick. The largest bump is on the back of its head/upper neck, but there are two smaller ones on top of its head. I considered that it could have been getting picked on by the bigger chicks, but due to her also growing in adult feathers didn't want to discount ingrown feathers as a possibility. When I touch or even lightly squeeze on the bump she doesn't fuss as though it hurts. Before I take any action, I wanted to be get some opinions.
IMG_20220526_181754_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220526_181649_HDR.jpg

Thank you for any help that you can provide!

@Kiki @nuthatched
I hadn't even considered that, but that is quite possible. I sit next to the chicks in their brooder while I work each day and while watching them throughout the day never noticed anything to suggest an injury. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it improves. I'm glad I asked before doing anything that might hurt the little lady more.
Thank you so very much!

@Kiki @nuthatched
I hadn't even considered that, but that is quite possible. I sit next to the chicks in their brooder while I work each day and while watching them throughout the day never noticed anything to suggest an injury. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it improves. I'm glad I asked before doing anything that might hurt the little lady more.
Thank you so very much!
My first guess would be someone already attacked her and it's healing.

Make sure they have plenty of room and make sure it's not too hot.

Back
Top Bottom