1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lump on back of chicks neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pamschaefer, Feb 27, 2016.

1. pamschaefer

pamschaefer Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2015
    I have a 3 week old Ameraucana that I hatched who started loosing the down around the neck within the last week and it looked red and inflamed , but I thought it was due to feathers coming in. I noticed a scab on the back of the head and thought maybe one of the other chicks pecked it. Now when I look closer it has lumps around back of neck? Any suggestions[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BugStalker

BugStalker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2016
    I probably know less than you do, but as I understand it, a lump on the neck (that isn't a crop, of course) could possibly be a ruptured air sac (filled with air, can be caused by injury) a cyst (filled with fluid) or a tumor (hard) There are many different kinds of these that may require different treatment, and there may be other possibilities I don't know about, such as a deposit of some kind. The soft lumps can often be drained, but sometimes come back. If you leave them untreated, the bird may do fine as long as the bumps don't get injured or grow or something, but sometimes they can grow inside the bird without becoming noticeable on the outside of the bird. I've heard some kinds are contagious, so I might quarantine until you know what it is. (I hear there are hundreds of possibilities.) I hope someone more knowledgeable can help better. A description of how it feels might help.

3. BugStalker

Feb 2, 2016
    Other things that might help are pictures of her droppings and knowing what vaccinations she has had, if any.

4. CoopDeDoo

CoopDeDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    Quote:Did you ever find out what this is? My son says that one his roommates chicks ( which they got from me) has something very similar going on.

5. BugStalker

Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  6. fmb5607

fmb5607 New Egg

Mar 28, 2016
    I have found one of my babies have the same thing, not acting lathergic & eating fine

7. pamschaefer

pamschaefer Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2015
    I treated with blue kote and sprinkled diatomaceous earth food grade into corners of brooder. It's exactly one month later and you would never know... All feathers are grown back in. I don't know if it was from feather plucking or mites, the chick had never been outside and brooder was filled with pine bark chips (which were certified bug free)

8. BugStalker

Feb 2, 2016
    I'm glad it cleared up! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by