Help! Strange lump on chickens back

HelenFKP

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2022
Hi everyone,
I haven’t been on here in a while but really need some advice. One of my chooks has a strange circular crater on her back. I noticed it about a month ago and it was a lump with red skin around the edge and a scab in the middle. I left it as thought it was healing but nothing happened and so decided to remove the scab only to find it filled with cheesy like puss. I cleaned it out with cotton buds and salt water and then left it. It looked like it was healing but didn’t seem to be going down. I removed the scab again only to find the same cheesy like puss. I have removed the puss on Friday and have been cleaning it with salt water every day. I put Vaseline on it to protect it but that made the scab soggy. I don’t know what is best to do. I have attached a picture of it 12 hours after I removed the scab the second time and cleaned it with salt water. Has anyone else had a chook with the same thing.

Attachments

• IMG_2263.jpeg
    IMG_2263.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 34
I'm guessing it's from an old injury of some sort or could have been an ingrown feather. If you could see a broken-off feather in there, I'd sterilize the area and pull it out with a tweezer or pliers.

I would use regular triple antibiotic Neosporin ointment on it instead of vaseline, or just spray it with Veterycin and leave it with nothing else on it. I'd keep doing what you're doing with washing it and redoing it daily though.

I'm guessing it's from an old injury of some sort or could have been an ingrown feather. If you could see a broken-off feather in there, I'd sterilize the area and pull it out with a tweezer or pliers.

I would use regular triple antibiotic Neosporin ointment on it instead of vaseline, or just spray it with Veterycin and leave it with nothing else on it. I'd keep doing what you're doing with washing it and redoing it daily though.
Thank you so much for your help.

Hi Debbie,

I wanted thank you so much for recommending Veterycin. I bought some Veterycin Plus Hydrogel and it’s amazing! Within less than 24 hours the difference was phenomenal and 3 days later the lump and hole have almost completely healed. I will always make sure I have a bottle of the stuff in my chicken medical stash.

Thank you again.

Helen

Back
Top Bottom