Can someone help me with bumblefoot? PIC WARNING

alinas2010

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
First time treating bumble foot. Noticed last night and soaked in dawn dish soap, epsom salt and warm water once this morning, and once just now. About 20 mins each time. Able to remove scab with a little white material (pus? core?) this time. I’m sure there is a tiny other bumble right next to this one and I don’t think we got the core out. Put some Campho phenique on it, sprayed with Vetericyn and packed with triple antibiotic neosporin and wrapped. What do I need to do now? Keep soaking twice daily and try to remove more? I feel so bad it looks awful. I feel like just mauled her doing this. Should I have left the scab on?
IMG_0768.jpeg
IMG_0767.jpeg
IMG_0765.jpeg

Last edited:
You did the right thing! Bumblefoot is a staph infection, and it can slowly spread up the bird's leg.

Search BYC; there are lots of threads about treating bumblefoot. Lots of very knowledgeable people here have posted good information.

Good luck.
So I’ve been searching quite a bit today and last night and I think my next steps are to keep packing a wrapping. I am just not sure if I got everything out that needed to come out. How do you tell?

Usually if you squeeze until nothing else comes out, it is probably enough. Just keep irrigating the wound, then put some plain Neosporin on it with a small 2 x2 dressing until it fills in and starts healing. Here is a good video of the dressing:

Thank you. I needed to see that wrapping; our wrap job looked a little Frankenstein-ish. I will inspect again tomorrow and go from there. Would you worry about the other little bumble? I couldn’t remove the scab from that one

We got the scab off the little bumble today, there is clearly pus in it, but it will not squeeze out. Anyone have advice on how to get it to come out?

Does this look like a healing bumble? Do I need to soak and remove scabs again? I have an inkling that there is hard pus material still where it is swollen between her toes but idk how to remove it.
IMG_0782.jpeg
IMG_0781.jpeg
IMG_0780.jpeg
IMG_0779.jpeg

We got the scab off the little bumble today, there is clearly pus in it, but it will not squeeze out. Anyone have advice on how to get it to come out?
You could either soak it in warm Epsom salt water for several minutes and see if it softens up enough for you to squeeze it out. The Neosporin should be preventing it from getting infected, but if you can't squeeze it out and believe there is still some in there, you could try putting PRID (drawing salve) on it and then bandage it up with that on it for a day or so and see if that pulled it out.

You could either soak it in warm Epsom salt water for several minutes and see if it softens up enough for you to squeeze it out. The Neosporin should be preventing it from getting infected, but if you can't squeeze it out and believe there is still some in there, you could try putting PRID (drawing salve) on it and then bandage it up with that on it for a day or so and see if that pulled it out.
Thank you, I will try soaking again tomorrow since we cleaned and rewrapped already. I did order Prid and it should be delivered today, perfect timing. Hopefully that helps draw out some of the infection. I’m guessing the updated pics don’t look to be healthy and healing, do they?

Back
Top Bottom