Can someone help me with bumblefoot? PIC WARNING

Thank you. I’m being too anxious about it. I suppose I’ll know if it doesn’t start closing up and forming healthy pink skin as it should

Even though I have seen hundreds of threads and a multitude of articles on treating it I was anxious handling it on my own bird too.
My poor bird was really bad off even though she never once limped. It took several weeks to close up after removal.

Just keep doing what your doing and be very patient in how long it takes.

Even though I have seen hundreds of threads and a multitude of articles on treating it I was anxious handling it on my own bird too.
My poor bird was really bad off even though she never once limped. It took several weeks to close up after removal.

Just keep doing what your doing and be very patient in how long it takes.
No matter how much we search up on something there’s nothing to prepare us for it with our birds. It never helps that they hide things so easily, either. So thanks for taking a look and the reassurance 🙂 I’ll remain diligent and (try to be) patient!

Do you do anything for the pain before digging around?
No, I just disinfect and cut/clean out as precisely and quick as I possibly can, flush it again with disinfectant and pack with antibiotic ointment following non stick gauze and lots of padding for the toes also as they will be wrapped too.

But it has been some years now that I had to treat my chickens for bumble foot as I keep the wooden roosts and ladders clean and free of splinters and the bedding dry and quite thick.
And I stopped having chicks from the birds that were prone to bumblefoot.

First time treating bumble foot. Noticed last night and soaked in dawn dish soap, epsom salt and warm water once this morning, and once just now. About 20 mins each time. Able to remove scab with a little white material (pus? core?) this time. I’m sure there is a tiny other bumble right next to this one and I don’t think we got the core out. Put some Campho phenique on it, sprayed with Vetericyn and packed with triple antibiotic neosporin and wrapped. What do I need to do now? Keep soaking twice daily and try to remove more? I feel so bad it looks awful. I feel like just mauled her doing this. Should I have left the scab on? View attachment 3690850View attachment 3690851View attachment 3690852
Confirming this is bumble foot. Which means a Staph infection. Short of culturing, Systemic injected antibiotics to consider are, Naxxcel, Exceed injectable, Orally, Amoxicillin/ Clav. twice a day or about 3 months. This does not resolve without treatment. Disinfect with betaine and bandage with a Neomycin based antibiotic. What. you have been using is not effective against this bacteria. if not treated systemically, it will cause a Bone infection or mortality.

Confirming this is bumble foot. Which means a Staph infection. Short of culturing, Systemic injected antibiotics to consider are, Naxxcel, Exceed injectable, Orally, Amoxicillin/ Clav. twice a day or about 3 months. This does not resolve without treatment. Disinfect with betaine and bandage with a Neomycin based antibiotic. What. you have been using is not effective against this bacteria. if not treated systemically, it will cause a Bone infection or mortality.
Thank you, I will be more aggressive with the at home treatment. I believe I do have some Neomycin ointment from the vet I’ll start applying.

The PRID is amazing! Our hen has had bumblefoot on and off forever. She is just prone to it. None of the other hens have it. I even gave her prednisone for a bit trying to clear up whatever immune system problem she was having. The bumblefoot comes back. But the PRID works a real charm. And Neosporin. Don't fret about the wrap. If it stays on overnight you have done a great job. They are escape artists and hate having their feet wrapped. Stretch wrappings (usually coloured) that the vets use ( or for horses) are good as they are more durable and are self-adhesive. Good luck and keep at it. You will know it is gone when the wound is 100% healed. Until then you may have to soak and repeat the surgery again. Keep at it with the Neosporin and PRID.

The PRID is amazing! Our hen has had bumblefoot on and off forever. She is just prone to it. None of the other hens have it. I even gave her prednisone for a bit trying to clear up whatever immune system problem she was having. The bumblefoot comes back. But the PRID works a real charm. And Neosporin. Don't fret about the wrap. If it stays on overnight you have done a great job. They are escape artists and hate having their feet wrapped. Stretch wrappings (usually coloured) that the vets use ( or for horses) are good as they are more durable and are self-adhesive. Good luck and keep at it. You will know it is gone when the wound is 100% healed. Until then you may have to soak and repeat the surgery again. Keep at it with the Neosporin and PRID.
Thanks for the encouragement! I was thinking I would have to repeat soaking and surgery based on the swelling hanging around, too. Planning on doing that starting tomorrow and continuing all weekend when I have help to hold her during the foot exam/pus removal part. I’ll keep at it!

Back
Top Bottom