Lump on eye

WalesChick

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
I've only just bought three hens and have noticed a small lump on the rim of the eye on one of them. It looks like a spot. She's also been standing with her tucked in. Does this mean that she's sick? Only two days in and I'm already paranoid!

Welcome to BYC. Pictures of the eye may help you find help in telling what your hen has. Is her tail tucked in or her head? The more details you give the better.

Just her head, and she only does it occasionally. She's eating and drinking fine as well. I will try to get a picture of her eye. Hope I'm worrying for no reason....

Just had another look and the lump seems to be coming from just under the rim of the eye and bulges out. Thanks, any advice appreciated. Think I will contact the place I got her from as well.

It may be sinus swelling which is usually a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG or CRD) or coryza. There are others, too that can cause swelling. The stance where they stand with the head tucked in is called huddling or puffed up. It is common with any sickness, especially cocci, respiratory, or just about any disease. Here is a link where you can read about the different diseases and symptoms, then compare to what you are seeing. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044 A picture still would help. Descriptions are not always enough.

Back
Top Bottom