Lump on Newly Hatched Chick-help please

Could be a lot of things..but most likely it's an incubation thing temps and/or humidity was off. Could be parental health/nutrition/genetics. I don't know enough about incubation to speculate exactly why the yolk did not retract and abdomen close before the hatch....or what the prognosis and/or handling of a yolk that is still outside the body at this point. I would think infection would be the biggest risk.

Is this your first hatch?
First hatch with your eggs?
Did you test your thermometers and hygrometers?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/
Did you assist this chick to hatch?
What kind of incubator are you using?
How did you track temp, humidity, air cells, etc during the incubation?

Maybe these folks can help:
@ChickenCanoe @Pyxis @WVduckchick
This is my third hatch, and I attempted a staggered hatch with 6 ayam cemani eggs that were due a week before these eggs, started with 6 of my own eggs. 4/6 developed, today is day 21, still waiting on 2.
First hatch with my own eggs.
Thank you for the link! I didn't know how to test my thermometers/hygrometers, so I purchased a couple new ones each hatch that were supposedly auto calibrated.... I know the humidity in my dry incubators is somewhere between 30-40, and the room temp is usually kept between 72-78F; the hygrometers/thermometers are +/-5% and +/-1F, so I used the ones that appeared most accurate.
My previous hatches were 5/6, 7/9, 12/15; I followed the same process, same amount of water for humidity as previous hatches, thinking it should be the same this round. 100F, 55% humidity.
I locked down the first 6 ayam cemani eggs day 17, they were fully developed and moving. Day 18 I noticed the temp dropped by 1F. Day 19, the same, it was now at 97-98F. I thought maybe my thermometers were wrong, it was a colder day, the heating element should kick in any minute. I bought a new incubator and set it up that night. Day 20 morning, 96-96F, I moved the eggs into the other incubator. The 4 from my chickens were later day 15, like 18hours into day 15, and I was worried about locking them down the next when the AC were hatching any minute, so they were locked down immediately in the new bator. 100F, 70% humidity.
Day 22 for the AC eggs, no sounds or rocking, so I candled. No movement in those, my eggs were moving a LOT. The next day, I float tested the AC eggs, they were all dead. My eggs were rocking like crazy. It was day 19 for them. At midnight the first egg pipped.
At hour 20, 11pm day 20, the first pip had no change. I started to panic. Wrapped it in warm damp paper towel, went into a steamy bathroom, and opened the pip hole til the beak showed. Put it back in the bator. She hatched fully at 4am, had large yoke lump and swollen right eye.
Midnight day 20 the second pipped. I did nothing. This one hatched at 8pm, has a small yoke lump, and left foot curled toes. I havent yet treated the toes or the eye, more worried about the yokes ..... I've seen people tape the curled toes down, til they stay flat?
First incubator was still air 6100 harris farms with auto turner, new incubator is little giant 10300 with circulating air.
I've never had this many issues before, but crap, admittedly I messed up by attempting a stagger :/

Just an update.
Not a good one though. I made a stupid, rookie move, I regret it. Please don't tell me I suck because I already realize, it won't be helpful. My chicken experiences are FULL of rookie moves so far, ugh :hit:caf
I had the two squirts inside, making lots of noise. I thought, maybe my mother hen (who's chicks hatched 2 days ago) would take them. They were both doing great. Neither had absorbed the yolks sacs, my next step was going to be tying it off with unwaxed dental floss, stop bleed ready, and treat with betadine and vetericyn. Anyways...
Middle of the night, I placed them under momma. She didn't move much, and she always complains when I'm around. I left. This morning, the baby with the big lump was dead, bled out from pecking wounds. The other baby literally ran over to me as soon as I opened the coop door, as in please save me mom. My heart, ugh, I feel soo terrible.
So the other baby, still has a small yoke bump, shes living in my room. Her name is Monkey, and I'm her hen, I gave her beanie babies to snuggle with if she wants.
I think I'll go buy chicks somewhere tomorrow, so she has friends. Shes lonely but in really good health otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom