Lumps/cysts developing all over chicken’s head and neck! Help!

Iriskandi

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
D875A5DF-BA56-4310-B8FB-AF6E3A89E995.jpeg
CCA1B958-4427-4047-A9A3-46DE98E08497.jpeg
So I noticed a few days ago that one of my 3 month olds had these lumps/cysts forming on her eye. A quick google search showed me a chicken with something similar. The owner had waited for the lump to get big enough and was able to pull the scab/pit off. The bird healed normally. So I decided to let her do the same. Two of the cysts/lumps got bigger and have looked ready. I tried several time to pick off the scab/pit. When I soak it with warm water in hopes to loosen it, it seems to just make the whole thing bigger and more irritated. I examined her today and noticed what just felt like quills were more of these lumps or cysts! I discovered one on her earlobe. I found a few on her neck. And I think she may be forming one on her wing. She appears to have been picked on recently. Her and her group were recently integrated into our larger flock. She has some broken and tattered feathers too. I wonder if these lumps are infected peck injuries. And she now has so many of these lumps, I would if I need to get her an antibiotic as I don’t believe I can lance all of them and keep them all clean. She is eating and drinking though she is thin. I brought her in with her sibling and a couple of my kids that haven’t been handling the cold as well. She is still in good spirits. She wasn’t as interested in food when I brought her out to examine. But she did eat and acted quite pleased with herself.

Here’s a picture of a couple days ago after the cysts/lumps grew and one I took today of the same ones. The others all look just like these.

Nothing on her comb or waddles. She’s had that darker discoloration on her comb since she was a baby. It’s part of her breed. She’s a Deathlayer. But I am not ruling it out.

Edit to add:
There appears to be puss under a solid head.

Is it possible that the other birds just haven’t shown symptoms yet? She has been in close proximity with her sister who is fine and several younger girls that are just fine as well.

Back
Top Bottom