Lumps in both rear legs

Chicken Ma

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
El Sobrante
Just discovered lumps in both rear legs of my Westie. She is 14. At first I thought it was her leg muscle, then realized it was not. Both legs have one and they are between a quarter and a fifty-cent piece size. I have a vet appt. for Monday, but wondered if anyone else has encountered this. "When it rains, it pours" seems the case. I am awaiting biopsy results on my 6 yr. old chihuahua, who has a tiny bump in one of his picky glands. Then I discovered this. It's been a bad week so far. Thanks for any info.

What you are feeling could be lymph nodes. In a 14 YO dog, probably not good news. So sorry you are having a bad time with your doggies.
hugs.gif

I agree, most likely lymph nodes. If it's lymphosarcoma, your vet will probably prescribe some prednisone to keep your dog comfortable and reduce the swelling. Does your Westie have any swelling under her jaw to neck area or under the front legs as well?
Slinky

edited to add: What is a picky gland?

Last edited:
I just went through this with my boy... Here's the OP...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=279760

As you can see, it turned out not to be the worst. Probably the best thing I had going for me is that it was only in the nodes in both hind legs. The front ones around the chin in the neck were not swolen...
It could be lymphoma, but it could also be a result of infection, so I will keep my fingers
fl.gif
and keep you in my prayers.
hugs.gif
Please keep us posted....

Last edited:
Took Rosie in to the vet today. He did an aspiration of the lymph node in one back leg. It could be lymphoma as the nodes in her neck, groin, and back legs are all slightly enlarged. The nodes in both back legs had gone down dramatically since last week though. He also said it could be from her skin problems. She is allergic to so many things and has been on a special diet for a long time. But she still chews her feet like crazy and he said that the swollen nodes could be related to that. We got a good report on my other dog's biopsy --- NOT cancer --- so I am praying hard for a good answer on Rosie. She is a real sweetheart. Thanks to all of you for your replies. I'll keep you posted. Please keep her in your prayers! Thanks so much!

Gail

Just tried to correct "picky" gland with the correct word, but somehow the system changed the word to "picky" again. Will try one more thing --- it's one of the two glands located under his tail --- the A N A L gland. (Let's see if it changes the word again!)

It didn't!!! Yippee!

Last edited:
Gotcha. gland problems are really a pain. Here at my grooming salon, we empty the anals when we bathe the dogs/cats. Unless they are impacted, then we get permission from the vet. Check with your groomer to see if they know how to empty the glands.
Hoping for some good news about your Westie.
Slinky

Last edited:
Emptying the picky glands is really an easy technique to learn and one I suggest all dog owners learn. The picky gland normally is expelled when a dog defecates. However, a modern dog's diet doesn't result in firm enough feces to fascilitate this. Anytime you see your dog scooting it means that the gland isn't being emptied enough. Learning the technique can make your animal's life more pleasant and help your carpets smell better.

ETA: I don't under stand why this keeps editing the proper word to something stupid like "picky gland". The proper name for the butt gland isn't offensive or obscene.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom