Lumps on silkies back and foot

Jan 2, 2018
Florida
134084B6-E1B0-40B3-886A-1657940400B3.jpeg
I have silkie that has had lumps on her back and foot and they are SUPER swollen on her foot and not as bad on her back there is nothing in them and they irritate her a little! We noticed it about a week ago. She has been on antibiotics for 4 days and gets ointment on her every day! She has not been improving!!!! :barnieWhat can i do to heal her and make her comfortable again! She is a expensive show bird and I would HATE to see her die!!!:idunno:fl:he

Do you have any other birds that are sick?

Can she walk on it?

Have you squeezed it to see if anything will come out?

Is she eating/drinking?

Does she feel as though she has a fever?

May I see her eyes in a photo?

Also a photo of her good foot for comparison?

This is very invasive, if it is bumblefoot, (bumblefoot may be secondary) and the infection may have already damaged the tendons in the foot as well as invaded the ankle joint.

*if that ankleband is tight, please snip it off.

She needs an antibiotic from a vet. Tylan is not going to address a bumblefoot infection of this severity. You need something that fights staph.
She would also benefit by some prescription pain relief.

An infection like this took some time to develop so be prepared to put quite a bit of time into treatment if you choose this route.
This is not something that is ever going to resolve on it own. It will kill her on its own however.

I’d start soaking it -this morning- in Epsom salt water with a shot of Hibiclens in the water. 20 minutes, four times today if you can, to see if you can bring the swelling down some, sooth it and elicit some drainage.

The challenge I see here is:

This infection is not confined as one would be if there were a “pocket of pus”.

The flesh itself of most of the foot and ankle is infected (and possibly the scaffolding within such as bones and tendons).

Left unchecked the infection will continue to spread and cause sepsis and kill the bird.

I still think the mass on the hens back is a tumor, and a cancerous process may be underlying in this bird’s foot as well, since the margins look suspiciously similar to the other mass, but only a trip to an experienced avian vet will confirm this theory.

Back
Top Bottom