Lumps under duckling eyes

SunflowerDays

Chirping
Aug 13, 2020
England
I have a 2 month old Mallard duckling that has a lump under each eye. It has had it for 3 weeks now. It is wild, but does come to me for food. Quite concerned for its welfare. Tried looking on internet for pictures of same issue, but have not matched anything. It’s life is normal in every other way, eats, sleeps, chats to other siblingS, chases flies etc.... I’ve grown quite fond of this one basically because it’s so identifiable. Help !

Attachments

• B845E523-45F2-47E9-8476-3397066BCAB3.jpeg
    B845E523-45F2-47E9-8476-3397066BCAB3.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 35
  • B76BC6B9-159E-4B11-97DC-E687FAB095AC.jpeg
    B76BC6B9-159E-4B11-97DC-E687FAB095AC.jpeg
    489.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 13F0BBFA-08CC-4B1D-BC79-5C32ABB11A98.jpeg
    13F0BBFA-08CC-4B1D-BC79-5C32ABB11A98.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 6
Facial swelling in waterfowl could indicate several things, allergies, bee stings, respiratory disease, viral infection, bacterial infection (from injury).

Just to clarify, the duck is completely normal besides this, no sneezing, wheezing, coughing? Have you noticed any wounds near his/her face?

How does the abscess feel?

How does the inside of her mouth look?
Have you seen any other ducks around the area with the same problem?

I found this,
http://backyardworld6153.blogspot.com/2016/07/mottled-duck-problems.html

Facial swelling in waterfowl could indicate several things, allergies, bee stings, respiratory disease, viral infection, bacterial infection (from injury).

Just to clarify, the duck is completely normal besides this, no sneezing, wheezing, coughing? Have you noticed any wounds near his/her face?

How does the abscess feel?

How does the inside of her mouth look?
Have you seen any other ducks around the area with the same problem?

I found this,
http://backyardworld6153.blogspot.com/2016/07/mottled-duck-problems.html

Hello Isaac

Thank you for your reply. the duck is completely normal otherwise, no sneezing, coughing etc. I haven’t noticed any wounds either.

The second lump appeared around 2 weeks after the the first lump and it gradually grew in 2 days. I haven’t been able to get close enough to pick her up to touch her as she is wild. I do have the facilities to catch her.

There are no other ducks with the same problem.

I have viewed your link, thank you. I think I may have to catch her and take her to the charity I volunteer for. I was trying to avoid it as they are overwhelmed as it is...

Hello Miss Lydia

Thank you for your message. I shall try my best to catch her and look in her mouth, before I do, what should I be looking for in her mouth?

I feed her Floating duck pellets. I change the water trough every day, even though we are on a bank of a river. She pushes bubbles through her nose sometimes!

I look forward to your response. 🙂

Well could be something stuck in there. Doesn’t hurt to check it out. On the goose forum a members goose was eating and they could t figure out why he had swelling around his face after examining their was a stick lodged under his tongue working its way through the skin. You just never know but good to check off might have been. You might be able to get wild life rescue to come b pick this little one up in case it did have a respiratory infection if other things have been ruled out.

Back
Top Bottom