1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lumps.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 6blackchicks, Oct 7, 2010.

1. 6blackchicks

6blackchicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Hi

Just a quick question. I haven't noticed until today, which is mostly because i have been sick, but on the right side of all my chicks just under their neck and before their wing there is a lump. Is this normal or something i should keep an eye on? its weird that all have the lump....

Am i worrying about nothing?

Thanks

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Its their crop. First place the food goes to. Means they are eating good. [​IMG]

3. 6blackchicks

6blackchicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Sunshine Coast, QLD
    Thank you!!!

See first time with chickens here.... i know nothing...

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG]

Spend some time in the Learning Center, wonderful info there. There's a link at the top center of the page.

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Your welcome. First time my neighbor saw her chicken dust bathing she came running over screaming that her chickens were having seizures, I went over said no taking a bath. Its always better to ask questions. That way you'll know. Better to be safe than sorry.

6. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    It's a good thing I was browsing thru the posts, I was wondering the same thing.
    I noticed the same lump on 4 of the 5 we have. Nice to know it's natural. [​IMG]

7. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I knew chickens had crops but when I felt a large lump on my bantam's chest, I freaked. The lump wasn't centered (I had thought crops were in the middle) and was lower than I had imagined. Chiclet had recently enjoyed a some bread and that made the bulge more noticeable I guess.
    Still learning :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by