Luquid From Hatching Chicks/Egg?

tuagmus

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2016
Wausau, WI
My last round of hatching eggs and two of my three hatching eggs, 2 chicks died during hatching. There were ooze coming from the cracks. I knew than the chicks were dead, surely they were. My question is, what may have caused this? Humidity too high? 74% humidity with 1/4 air cell. Other chicks seems to be haching alright?

Was 74% the humidity during the hatch? That sounds ok at lockdown, but what was the humidity during incubation? It does sound like the humidity may have been too high during incubation.

Did you do an eggtopsy on the eggs that didn't hatch? It can be very informative.

Sometimes it just happens if your humidity was good for the incubation period, but like food said 74% is much too high for day 1-18.

Day 1-18 ranged from 35%-60%. This is the first time it happened. And I did do an eggtopsy on it. It seemed like the beaks were sealed shut from the fluid inside that leaked out it seemed like. The others are hatching out fine?

My question now is if it is humidity, like for say, if the air cell was a little less than 1/4 at day 18 or during lock down, should I still up the himidity? Or keep it at the lower 45-60% range? Or even lower?

Last edited:
My question now is if it is humidity, like for say, if the air cell was a little less than 1/4 at day 18 or during lock down, should I still up the himidity? Or keep it at the lower 45-60% range? Or even lower?

Adding humidity for lock down isn't done to change the air cell size, but to make sure it is high enough that when the chicks are hatching the membranes don't dry and shrink around them, making them unable to hatch. 

It seems like you had a pretty good humidity range for incubation, perhaps it is one of those things that just happen sometimes.

Last edited:
Awww. I was hoping its something that I could correct. But this does make me more aware that IF I see something oozing out I should probably try to do something, even tho its not recommended to help hatch but if it's going to die, I guess its worth the try next time.

How many did you start with and how many hatched?

Mak I had 8 fertile. 5 were hatching, and the first 2 piper were the ones that died with the ooze and the last 3 all had no issue besides one who had intestines sticking out from umbilical cord area but was successfully sealed within 24hr with a bandaid, which was just going to post pic in my other post when I first had a chick like that and didnt know what to do and it ended up dead.

4 of them piped at the same time. 5th one just hatched today. And assuming 3 eggs that probably wont hatch since there wasnt any movement. And today is already day 22.

Back
Top Bottom