Lure raccoons with bait... maybe...?

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
I have a raccoon problem and cannot get a trap until Monday. I can get my hands on a .22 tomorrow am however. What can I use to lure the critters into a specific area for me to take fire? A trail of marshmallows maybe? I need to draw them out because currently they are approaching the coop from the woods behind, and by the time I can get to where they are they will scamper...

Set out a can of sardines (or something else with a strong smell) upwind from where they come from. Make sure your shooting lane has nothing behind it that should not be shot at. Like houses, people, live stock, etc.

Use chicken livers,hearts,and gizards(raw). And definitely be sure that you have clear shooting lanes other wise you might help the coon eleminate your livestock.

Quote:
I would say use the livers and hearts. Take the gizzards, fry them up, and then snack on those while awaiting the raccoon.

Gizzards...mmmmmmmmmm

I'd do this... you know those popcorn garlands people do at Christmas?

think marshmallows instead... and hang (like a low clothesline) it so they have to work and can't just drag it off...

(Like this)

I----[]---[]--[]--[]--[]--[]--[]--[]----[]-[]-[]-[]---[]-------------------------I (2 feet up)
I . . . I
I__________________(ground)_________________________I

I used to live trap them. Marshmallows are a good start but I always had the best luck with a combo of peanut butter and mashed bananas. Sardines seemed to lure mostly opossums in my neck of the woods. They will also make a snack of your chickens. Good luck.

Quote:
I would say use the livers and hearts. Take the gizzards, fry them up, and then snack on those while awaiting the raccoon.

Gizzards...mmmmmmmmmm

lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Honey Buns.............amazing results!! Although we've never thought of marshmellows....hmmmmm:D

Back
Top Bottom