Lurked for a while, just joined

TRaeH

Hatching
Oct 23, 2015
Hi!

I go by TR in cyberspace. :) I've read lots of posts here in BYC because they often show up in my google searches about chicken questions. I decided to just join the group because I spend so much time reading posts in here anyway, and I could use some help sexing my chickens (big surprise, eh? Is there a more common newb question?!)

We have two chickens. Permel, 8 weeks and Chet, 11 weeks. I have several friends who have BYC's and have always wanted them myself. Our city allows them, our HOA doesn't, but our neighbors don't mind as long as the birds aren't disruptive. There are dogs in our 'hood that are WAY more obnoxious than any hen could dream of being! We sorta fell into owning our own when a lady who hatches found out we homeschool and GAVE us an incubator and herself as a resource of info. We have since become friends. We have done two hatches. The first one wasn't a great hatch, and the second one we used eggs from her coop and had 6 of 7 eggs hatch. And those babies went to another homeschooling family who live out of town and have been wanting chickens again. :)

Permel is a single hatchling from our first attempted hatch. We had six viable eggs out of 10 my friend in NE mailed me. We also had several power outtages during the last few days of incubating making our temp/humidity go haywire....and of our six, only Permel survived. She hatched Aug 28th around midnight....and was ridiculously loud and lonely, so we contacted a local chicken guy who sold us a 3 week BO/?? cross that is supposedly a pullet. :) Enter Chet the Chicken.

Permel is a cross of a RIR roo and a b/w hen of unknown breed my friend got at a livestock auction. She is also super sweet and comes over for attention and will try to perch on knees/arms/shoulders...anything she can get on. Chet comes for food, but isn't as interested in us otherwise...but will let us pick her up and doesn't fight it or anything. We handle them quite a bit.

Some non-chicken info about me...I am a homeschooling mama with 7 year old and 16 month old boys. My husband is in the USAF and we are stationed in the San Antonio area--which we love. We have three dogs, a 14 year old Whippet X, a 12 year old Min Pin/Chihuahua we acquired while stationed in Germany, and a 4 year old Boston Terrier who mostly belongs to our oldest son. :) They are inseparable. And she is the only one who concerns me around the birds. The old man is more interested in their food, the little dog would tuck tail and run the first time a chicken fluffs or squawks at him....but Maggie is a little too interested in all things chicken with that intense gaze and stiff posture. As a result, the girls are kept in their 4x5 run connected to the playhouse coop. We plan to fence off the side yard to give them more free ranging opportunity but we have to make sure it is Maggie-proof before we let our girls run free!

Sorry for the length! I'm happy to be here!

Cool! I am glad that you joined! It would be really helpful if you could post some pictures of the chickens that you want to be sexed.

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for the interesting intro!

Nice to have you here (hope you don't run afowl of the HOA).

Hi, TRaeH! I'm new, too, but I only just found BYC a few days ago and don't have any chickens yet. I'm in the planning stages. What a fun read your post was, I can picture your "flock", including kids and pups, and the pups partly because I have a Boston too named Alfie who I'm sure will be a source of concern for me once I actually get a few chickens next spring.

I know you'll get all the help you need here, this is a great lot of folks!

best,
Deb

I'm new. I would love some layers...but know nothing. But, my husband once worked in herd health as a vet in the poultry industry. And we live on a farm (cow, calf). So, l want to learn all l can before l jump in...

Thanks everyone!

I started a new thread to ask about gender. (Bummed by the general consensus though!)

I've been part of other forums and generally lurk until I figure out the general feel and friendliness and this group of folks definitely fits in the friendly category so I'm happy to be a part of y'all! :)

Back
Top Bottom