Lurker becoming a "new member"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sewcrazy, Jul 27, 2014.

1. sewcrazy

sewcrazy In the Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    I had chickens growing up. I had been thinking about getting chickens for a few years, when one day in April my son showed up with a box of 6 one day old hens. At least he remembered to get a bag of grower feed also!

So we built a coop and a run in the spring. We are still trying to figure out the breeds we have :) They haven't started laying yet, but are 21 weeks old, so any day now.

Then 2 weeks ago our neighbors dog killed one of our chickens. Her parents own a farm, so she brought us 3 laying hens to apologize for our loss. 1 leg horn, 1 Wyndote and 1 Buttercup Sicilian. They are still segregated from our hens but are laying eggs nicely.

I am a homeschooling mom of 4, 2 graduated, 1 in high school and a nine year old
    "farm boy"
    We live in the far suburbs of Chicago.
    I have a large garden and enjoy canning, sewing and watching my chickens, dogs and rabbits

2. [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful learning center ..... [​IMG]

YOU have a good neighbor ... [​IMG]

Enjoy your poultry ventures ...... Do you have photos of your poultry ......

[​IMG]
    A little bit of ours [​IMG]

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYCl! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your chicken to the dog. It's always sad to lose a member of our flock. It sounds like you have a good neighjbor who made adequate restitution for your loss. My wife and I home schooled our children up until their Junior year in high school, and now my daughter is following in our footsteps with our granddaughter (that's her picture in my avatar). Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. We are here to help in any way we can. God bless your flock, and your family.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for your loss to the dog. But it sounds like you are enjoying your flock! I hope they continue to bring you great joy. :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That's probably the first time in at least a year that I heard of some one actually giving compensation for their dogs killing chickens. They sound like nice neighbors. It would be even better if they kept their dog on their property.

Welcome to Backyard chickens- glad you joined the flock.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by