Lurker Finally Joins BYC

sobble

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am not new to chickens! We've had our flock for a little over a year now, and boy has it been a learning experience!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Presently, we have 5 adult chickens and 16 unruly teenagers. We've had more in the past - I believe around 30 at some point? - but chicken keeping is a hard learning curve. Predators and disease are not kind to the novice keeper, as I'm sure you all know.

(3) What breeds do you have?

For the adults: two black-sex link hens, an australorp hen, a buff orpington hen (the only one who's really named, dubbed "Red," by my father), and by some strange miracle, a beautiful and incredibly people-friendly appenzeller spitzhauben rooster!

For the teenagers: three buff orpingtons, three australorps, two barred rocks, one easter egger, two silkies, one porcelain d'uccle, one mille fleur d'uccle, and three unknown bantams.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

That they're all so unique looking! Honestly, getting a variety of breeds together has got to be my favorite thing. I cannot wait to start incubating eggs so that I can get some neat looking barnyard mutts!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I don't really have a lot of other hobbies, if I'm being honest. Writing, sometimes? Video games, sometimes? Cooking, when I find the motivation? I just work and spend time with my animals and sleep. C'est la vie.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I currently live with my parents in a smallish town in New York. We have two cats - Archer, a grouchy, grey-and-white older tom cat and Skylark (Sky), a very tiny molly whose coat color is just absolutely every color in the cat rainbow. We also have a dog named Luke, who is most likely something vaguely husky-labrador-border collie-greyhound adjacent. Just a classic Heinz 57.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I've been lurking this website since before I even got my first round of chicks! However, now that I've gotten interested in incubating eggs, I'm here because I want to get eggs from a community I trust is knowledgeable and has lots of breeds available.

I'm also here to learn more about incubation, because my first attempt was a disaster.

That's about it! Hello, BYC! Nice to meet y'all c:

Back
Top Bottom