Lurker from S. Louisiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cajun_MikeR, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Cajun_MikeR

Cajun_MikeR Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2017
    Carencro, LA
    Hey everyone, after being a lurker for quite some time I finally decided to officially join because there were a few questions I saw that were some questions that I could help out with. I am by no means a chicken expert, but I enjoy the birds and like to experiment. Going off the question guide...

We've had chickens for a few years now (my wife has been a member here for a while, but doesn't post much), starting with 6 hatchery RIRs. Now, we're up to about 30 or so birds (getting ready to do some experimental cross breedings, not for fame or fortune but just as something to do). We've got RIR hens, 1 RIR roo, BR hens, BSL hens (our breedings), BJG/RIR hens (our breeding), 1 blue Cochin cockerel, 1 Buff Brahma cockerel, and 2 BC Marans (both cockerels). We found out about the site a few years ago while searching for information before getting our first birds (which we got for eggs at first, then we started raising out cockerels for slaughter).

I know a few of you like mutts (and lots of pictures), so as I'm playing around with some of the breedings I'll try to remember pics. The cross breedings are nothing serious, otherwise we'd clean house and start with better stock, but I'm going to work on an all around (good size at slaughter a younger slaughter age than what we have now, while retaining decent egg laying capability) and see what kind of colors/combs/etc pop out (I'm more of a function over fashion type).

I also do a lot of work with reclaimed materials (pallets, old PVC, tarps, etc), so when I build stuff I'll try to remember to take pics and do guides for those that are interested in those types of things (I do get "old man brain" from time to time and just do the job without stopping, then realize I should've been taking pictures). So far I've built coops, A frames, a butcher block topped kitchen island, planters, and a few other things. I have to build a new larger coop (ours are essentially just chicken houses elevated off the ground with nesting boxes attached, then the whole thing is attached to an old 6ft x 20ft x 6ft dog run) to replace an old smaller one, that will have a lot of pallet wood used for structural and support...so I'll try to remember pics (again, old man brain).

Looking forward to taking part in the conversations more and trying to quit just lurking.

2. rjohns39

rjohns39 True BYC Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow I too love to work with wood. We're so glad you joined us:ya

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hello there! :frow And :welcome It is wonderful to have you here with us, best wishes! :)

4. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    :welcome hey there from Mossyrock, Washington State glad you said hello love photo's we have built coops of pallets... pvc and shipping crates to day pole building style is next

5. Ursuline Chick

Ursuline Chick Overrun With Chickens

Jul 21, 2017
    Welcome from New Orleans, we use reclaimed materials as well, are rather partial to old wooden fencing.

drumstick diva, rjohns39 and N F C like this.
  6. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Thanks for joining us, looking forward to seeing some of your photos!

rjohns39 likes this.
  7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I can't wait to see pictures of your projects. My first and only coop didn't come out exactly as planned (not a bad thing) because we opted to salvage as much building material as possible. The final piece came together when I looked out my window and saw a roofing crew at the neighbors and asked for some tear off shingles. They happen to be duck owners and were more than happy to comply with my request! Welcome.

Ursuline Chick, rjohns39 and N F C like this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Hope you will enjoy BYC as much as we do.

Love to watch people build things, I can watch for hours.

rjohns39 likes this.
  9. KikisGirls

KikisGirls I'll be back after Christmas Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by