Lurker turned Newbie from Massachusetts

eje99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
Hello All!
I thought it was finally time to join and introduce myself.
I have been lurking here for a couple years, since I first started thinking about getting chickens. I've never had chickens or really been around them, but somehow I've become completely obsessed with them! A couple years ago, I started thinking "it might be fun to get a couple of chickens" (you know, to eat the bugs in the yard) but I never really committed to it. This year, I became more serious about it. I saw the chicks at the local Tractor Supply and almost bought them, but didn't as I wasn't set up for them yet.

I think the reason I'm doing it this year is that I feel the need to refill my nest. My baby girl is heading off the college this fall and I guess I'm feeling the need for some new "babies". My middle child made me promise to wait to get the chicks until he was home from college, so I've ordered them for delivery in May. I've already discovered the hazards of chicken math - After initially thinking I'd get 3 or 4, I've ordered 7 chicks and I'm planning a coop with "expansion capabilities". I've ordered Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Golden Buffs, and a black laced Polish because my husband wanted a "chicken with a hat"! I've spent too many hours reading everything on this site; raising chicks, medicated vs non-medicated feed; brooders; coop design, deep litter method, etc. I started off thinking I would just use a Rubbermaid tote for the brooder, but realized that would quickly get too small. I've decided to build a brooder with some wood I have hanging around. I learned the risks of the clip on lamp, and I will use the red bulb, not white. I think I've decided to build a modified version of the "Mid-Life Crisis" coop. Somehow even the title seems to fit! I have mediocre carpentry skills, but thankfully my hubby is pretty much an expert and is willing to indulge me.

I am already very grateful for all of you and the wonderful information and advice on this site. Without it, I don't think I would have had the courage to embark on this new adventure. These animals will definitely be pets. I'm so anxious to have those little peeps and learn each of their individual personalities. Thank you in advance for all of the help I'm sure you're going to provide!

eje99

images

Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you are really doing the research, learning all you can about chickens and have passed the test in the course on Chicken Math!! And yes, chickens can definitely fill the gaps for empty nest syndrome! You will find that chickens are smart, amusing and some of them are very affectionate as well! My girls are huge lap babies and I can't sit anywhere without a chicken on my lap!

So glad you could join our community! So pull up a roost bar and make yourself at home. Enjoy your new flock and welcome to ours!

I really am sooooo excited! I see chickens now and instead of disregarding or ignoring them, I admire how beautiful they are and want to hold them! OMG - I think this is the beginning of something big for me! May 12 - hatching and ship date. Can't wait!

We all still get excited about new chicks. I have had chickens for 3 years now and I am picking up some babies in May as well. I am finding myself too excited to sleep at night already in the anticipation!! And yes, we will love to see pics of your new babies!
smile.png

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! May will be here before you know it! Good luck with your soon to be chicks and coop build, sounds like there will be even more chicks in your future!

Back
Top Bottom