Lurking for over a year.

Nini

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Strawberry Plains Knoxville
I've been lurking & studying for about a year and reading posts and soaking up as much information as I can. The coop is about 1/2 completed (we are converting the back half of the large storage shed). I will post pictures of the project when we are finished.

Now, For my first experience in Chickenry, I'm almost decided that my flock should ultimately be 11. One Rooster. (mean ones will be eliminated). I'm partial to Buff Orpingtons because of the dual purpose aspect and friendliness.

I live in TN and would like to receive them late March or very early April, so I'm thinking the nearest is a good idea also. So, my first official question. What hatchery do you all recommend for a smaller order like this and when should I place my order?

Nini,
Ideal poultry! I got 6 Buff Orpingtons from them this past Spring and they were great birds. I sold 4, one got taken by a pred, and I have one left who is very sweet and a good layer now. They don't have a 25 chick min. order like some places do.
Welcome!

welcome-byc.gif

Not all hatcheries will take orders under 25, so make sure to do research as to which ones will send you the number of birds you want.

I have heard that people have good experiences with mypetchicken.com also.

Hey, Nina. Welcome! I ordered from Ideal a couple of years ago, and the birds were fine. But you might consider posting a "want to buy" ad on the "Buy Sell Trade Chicks, Chickens" section of BYC. I know several people here raise Buff Orpingtons, and have awesome birds from the pics I've seen. Just a thought.

Paula:)

Welcome to BYC!
smile.png
Unless you just want the thrill of raising your own flock from chicks, with a little research of your area you might be able to find some started stock or adult stock. Many people have buff orpingtons, they are very popular. Welcome and we expect PICTURES later!
frow.gif

Last edited:
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

I got my 10 buff orpingtons from Ideal poultry back in Oct. They all made the trip and are doing well. My avatar is one of the males.

Good Luck!

I am very new at chicken raising as well. I'm in Indiana. I ordered 12 Barr Rock Pullets (recieved 11 pullets and 1 Rooster) from Ideal Hatchery. They put 7 Rhode Islan Reds in the shipment for warmth. All of the chicks arrived the next day after shipment and all were, and still are alive. I was going to order my chicks in the spring, but found they wouldn't start laying until around September which would mean I'd miss eggs the entire summer. I decided to raise my chicks over the winter and got them on Nov. 5. They should start laying around April sometime. They have been in their coop since 6 weeks and are doing fine. I thought all of the RIR were roosters but, as they grow, I think most of them are actually pullets - Bonus for me. I looked at MY PET Chicken but found they were more expensive than Ideal for small orders. I was very satisfied with Ideal for my order.

Back
Top Bottom