M I Crooked Letter Crooked Letter...ahh, nevermind....Mississippi

Pics
Quote:
I'm not saying it's all death and disease. I'm just saying that several of the vendors buy their stock in bulk and never look at the birds close enough to determine if there is a potential problem. I do sometimes go but am very careful about what i buy and from whom. There are some vendors that i will not even get close enough to see what they have. I usually head straight to the dog yard because most of the small time backyard chicken raisers are out there. I would rather buy a healthy bird from a guy with just a few out of the back of a pickup truck, than buy a sick one from a guy with hundreds out of a gooseneck trailer. Trust me, when i was first starting, i've made those mistakes before. The best advice i can give is to go and see for yourself. But, i say again, you can find exceptional birds there.

I gotta agree. The few times I sell any birds, I take them to the dog yard and they never leave my truck or trailer. If I don't sell out, I still quarantine any I bring back just to be sure. There are a few decent dealers there though.

Scott's Place :

Here is another new chicken lover in North Mississippi. I am located in Pontotoc between Tupelo and Oxford. Have beem enjoying BYC and all the imformation that is posted.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from Glen
frow.gif

Would anyone be interested in a Lavender Orpington roo? I've got an extra one and need to find a new home for him. I will hopefully have eggs/chicks available soon. I want him to have a good home, so please don't respond if you would butcher him. This is a picture of his brother (already spoken for). They look almost identical. I can post pics of the actual roo if anyone is interested.

56134_dscf2435.jpg

56134_dscf2434.jpg

56134_dscf2444.jpg

I live in the Magee/Mount Olive area but would also be willing to meet in Jackson or Hattiesburg or anywhere in between.

PM me if you're interested.

Quote:
I see, I think I recall someone posting a picture on another forum of a black grey called "Firedowns." You ever have any grey birds thrown, or is it likely that those were just crosses?

My bird's have been laying-laying.. It is rather early, normally they don't kick off until March but I set about 9-10 whitehackle eggs, 5-6 Shamo hennie X Grey american game hen crossed, 3 black X gilmore crosses, 3 3/4 doc 1/4 gerrard hatch, and about 3-4 Roundheads too almost a week ago.. Getting more eggs too. Been blessed this year, starting a lot better than last year.. Now I am just waiting for the Shamo hens to kick up.. One of the yard hens (1/2 Shelton roundhead 1/2 whitehackle) is already setting.. She'd be laying off of a 1/2 radio 1/2 doc robinson cock since he is the only one on tie.. Or she maybe laying off of another hatch cock that was on tie, most likely a mixture.

-Daniel

Hey DT. Here is my new web address. Pics of my games are on there. www.powellsgamefarm.webs.com check it out and let me know what you think of my Games.

Sorry for the late reply, they look great! I especially like the pine albany cock and the Firedown looks like a tank. Should produce some excellent birds I think. So far out of the 13 (or maybe 14) chicks I've got I counted what I think is 9 stags, and had a hen hatch off on the yard. A hawk took care of most of her chicks, the three left look like two stags and a pullet. More eggs due to hatch the 15th, then I have somewhere around 40 eggs waiting to be set, not sure how that is gonna work out with a incubator that only holds 42 unless I let some hens start setting their own.

-Daniel

Quote:
Hey DT. Here is my new web address. Pics of my games are on there. www.powellsgamefarm.webs.com check it out and let me know what you think of my Games.

Sorry for the late reply, they look great! I especially like the pine albany cock and the Firedown looks like a tank. Should produce some excellent birds I think. So far out of the 13 (or maybe 14) chicks I've got I counted what I think is 9 stags, and had a hen hatch off on the yard. A hawk took care of most of her chicks, the three left look like two stags and a pullet. More eggs due to hatch the 15th, then I have somewhere around 40 eggs waiting to be set, not sure how that is gonna work out with a incubator that only holds 42 unless I let some hens start setting their own.

-Daniel

I have two chicks off of the firedowns. Both little stags. They are georgeous. I think they would make great show birds. My Albany's haven't started laying just yet. Maybe they will start up soon. Everyone loves the Albany cock. He is a beauty and very showy.

Hello I'm from Rolling Fork Ms. On hwy 61 1/2 way between Greenville and Vicksburg. I'm just getting into chickens I have 25 Rhode Island red pullets and 4 buff orphingtons I just put into the pen also I have 10 Rhode Island reds that should ship out Monday. I kind of messed up on my order and got the buff orphingtons instead of Rhode Island Reds trying to get some roosters and bought the random picks in the wrong breed. I have a cousin that is raising chickens also so he will end up with the buff's I have to get a pure bread stock for me. They are into the incubators and all so I will get them fertile eggs to hatch from my chickens. They have a place out of town with a big pasture and they are starting with game chickens and will let them roam the pasture. The Rhode Islands have to be kept up because they don't roost high enough to avoid predators there.

Back
Top Bottom