M I Crooked Letter Crooked Letter...ahh, nevermind....Mississippi

Pics
Welcome and let us know if we can help in any way!!!
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
I see, I think I recall someone posting a picture on another forum of a black grey called "Firedowns." You ever have any grey birds thrown, or is it likely that those were just crosses?

My bird's have been laying-laying.. It is rather early, normally they don't kick off until March but I set about 9-10 whitehackle eggs, 5-6 Shamo hennie X Grey american game hen crossed, 3 black X gilmore crosses, 3 3/4 doc 1/4 gerrard hatch, and about 3-4 Roundheads too almost a week ago.. Getting more eggs too. Been blessed this year, starting a lot better than last year.. Now I am just waiting for the Shamo hens to kick up.. One of the yard hens (1/2 Shelton roundhead 1/2 whitehackle) is already setting.. She'd be laying off of a 1/2 radio 1/2 doc robinson cock since he is the only one on tie.. Or she maybe laying off of another hatch cock that was on tie, most likely a mixture.

-Daniel

Last edited:
Mine all come black breasted brown red in color. I just started with th firedowns and I cant keep any chicks for myelf because the folks around here flock to them like moths to a flame. I am going to set aside a few with the ones that are du to hatch off the 18th. I wish I knew more about their history. I do know that they are one of the many hatch bloodlnes but the stags are very moody. I get popped in the face on a daily basis. I thought about crossing one of his stags over my cecil davis kelso hen or my bluefacehatch hen. I want to breed for longer legs so what blood would you infuse for height? I am open to all suggestions.

Quote:
All depends brother, different breeders different body styles. Doc Robinson hatches are pretty good birds, and are generally large in the leg and body.. Johnny Haguewood is a fellow that lives down by me and my family has known for quite sometime.. He breeds the Doc's, but even then some birds have longer legs than others. Now leg length, you can't beat my Shamo's! But I doubt you'd want to cross them into your American fowl (now you may do, but a lot of people prefer to keep American's pure.)

Maybe hit me up later own if you need to, I've got 3/4 doc 1/4 gerrard's in the bator now.. They are from Johnny Haguewood originally, the parents are on my website.. Later own I am thinking of taking a NeSmith gilmore over the hen to play around some.. But no clue how those will come out.

-Daniel

ETA: If you were speaking about your two hens, by what I picture I would say use the blueface hen.. Hatch birds are generally larger, while Kelso's I always pictured as a wide bodied medium stationed bird. But that could be the opposite, I don't know your stock really.

Last edited:
I might hit you up later on. I will try the albany cock over the blueface hen. She has a lot of height whereas my CD hen is broad bodied . Thanks for your advice. I am going to put up some pics f my stock on my website. As soon as i get it finished I will shoot you the address.

Hey Mississippi! I am from Hernando, MS! Technically Eudora, but we are so far in the sticks we don't have a PO.

So far I have only seen one other person from Desoto County.......Anybody???
big_smile.png

Sumrall, MS here. I've been a viewer for quite a while but just not a big poster. We moved to Sumrall, MS, over a year ago from Alabama. Got rid all my critters before moving since we knew we wouldn't have a place to put them for a while. Gone are my goats, horse, 30 hens (RI Reds, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers). I finally got (6) 12 wk old black & blue marans. We still have 3 out of 5 children at home. Love our 10 cres. Looking forward to turning our land into a mini-farm or more ofa self-sufficient life if I can get my techno junkie husband into it. LOL.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom