M I Crooked Letter Crooked Letter...ahh, nevermind....Mississippi

Pics
I live in Ocean Springs, and work in Biloxi. nice to meet you. My Australian Shepherd came from Saucier.

Nice to meet ya too....We just LOVE Ocean Springs!​

Thank you
big_smile.png
It's so cool to see other Mississippi locals on here
smile.png

Hey, y'all!
I'm a newbie (to all this) from Jones County...just outside of Laurel. After all my beggin', DH has finally given me the go-ahead to get chickens. We are starting to build our chicken house/coop hopefully this week, so I've been reading everything I can get my hands on...just finished Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. I'm scared to death but excited at the same time. I can't wait to get my hands on them!

Here are my first questions: I would love to start with chicks...do you suggest purchasing locally (if so from where) or do you suggest a mail-order hatchery (if so, which one)? Also, what's a good number to start with? I like what I've read on the Buff Orpington and the Barred Plymouth Rock...they're beautiful...feedback???

BTW, I am a home school mom of 4 kiddos who are almost as anxious as I am about chickens...don't know if we'll ever get any school done after we get them
wink.png

Hey and welcome to BYC! I ordered chicks from My Pet Chickens and was very satisfied with their service. Personally, I like to get (sexed)chicks in small groups of about 5. Ordering from a reputable hatchery offers you the opportunity to choose the sex. Small groups allow you to spend plenty of time with them and get them used to being handled and loved on, of course. Having both Barred Rock and Buff Orpingtons, I will have to say, hands down, that my Buffs are as sweet as they come! I spent the same amount of time with both breeds, but the Buffs are just different. They want to be held and are reliable layers. The BRs just run from me.

Also, another suggestion that will make your life so much easier is setting up a watering system with nipple waterers http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...ering_systems-ft1_hoses_nipples;pgwc1045.html . Trust me- it gets old cleaning and refilling the traditional waterers!!!

***One warning though, you and your children may fall head over hills with the chicks and vow to never live without them again.***

Please feel free to PM me or any of us if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

Quote:
I have both breeds as well,Generally they are both calm sweet birds,always running under my feet.But the Buffs are usually the ones more personable.My lavenders are also turning out to be the same,and they are only a couple months old and already chasing me around for attention....lol. Southern Farm Hatchery is right here in MS.North Hancock County actually.228-255-8529.Not too far a drive for you. I also have some buff and barred chicks hatched now and some due to hatch this weekend.I could let a few go if interested.I am changing out my broodstock,so I hatched out eggs to raise for next year.I'm in Hancock County also.

Back
Top Bottom