MA is crazy cold tonight. How are you coping?

Your birds should be fine as long as they are out of the elements. My 7-month old pullets have been in the coop with open windows at -1 a couple of already these past few weeks and are just fine. Yours will be, too. Don’t be afraid to open those vents. Moisture happens when they’re breathing as well as when they poop. Cool and dry is better than warm and too humid.

Your birds should be fine as long as they are out of the elements. My 7-month old pullets have been in the coop with open windows at -1 a couple of already these past few weeks and are just fine. Yours will be, too. Don’t be afraid to open those vents. Moisture happens when they’re breathing as well as when they poop. Cool and dry is better than warm and too humid.
We cleaned the coop this afternoon and only half closed the vents. I’m not worried about moisture. I’m just worried about the drastic change in temp. I want to buy them LLBean jackets cuz I’m afraid they don’t have enough fluff yet.

Our pullets are also 7 months old. I have venting always open along the eaves and up to peak vents and the pop door remains open. As long as the litter is dry and the birds are free from drafts blowing on them, they will be fine.
I also make sure that my birds go to roost with very full crops to keep them warm at night while they digest their food. They can come out into the covered, enclosed run in the morning.
We are dipping down to 10 F tonight. Tomorrow night down to 5.
I'm sure everyone will be fine!

They’re tummies are full and have a ton of air flow still. I’m a nervous mom. I’d sleep with them in my room if I didn’t think it’d kill them. My neighbor moved his 20 chickens last winter and half died from overheating I’m the truck.

Drink 2 glasses of wine, start prepping for Thanksgiving dinner, pass out, then post back in the morning after feeding your flock a nice warm breakfast!! :D They'll be fine!

We cleaned the coop this afternoon and only half closed the vents. I’m not worried about moisture. I’m just worried about the drastic change in temp. I want to buy them LLBean jackets cuz I’m afraid they don’t have enough fluff yet.
Just how cold is it supposed to get??? And how warm has it been? Mine went from 30's to below zero in a matter of days. They were in a coop without windows in yet (I didn't know it was going to get that cold, or I'd have at least put the windows in). One of the pullets slept on the windowsill, with the cold air right there. She was fine, as was the rest of the flock. I've been doing this chicken thing for some time. Trust me - they'll be fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom