Mabel's Legacy-BABY PICTURES!!!!

cherylcohen

The Omelet Ranch
10 Years
Sep 18, 2009
SF East Bay CA
Well anyone that has followed Mabel's adventure you know that she was the ultimate Mom-to-be. This is the old link if you are interested https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=304097&p=1

She
was the most diligent mom, would not get off the nest, loved her eggs and finally had to be put to sleep today 3/11 because she suffered from Marek's disease. She was the best chicken I've ever had. She came when I called her, followed me everywhere in the garden, ran her fat butt over to me whenever I clinked the mealworm can on the ground, and she was the sweetest most huggable lovable girl I've known.

So I start this new thread with the idea that her legacy must live on, she was such a trooper and now I have 14 eggs in the incubator. It's day 7.

I'm considering candling them..we have

2 silver laced wyandottes
3 sicilian buttercups
3 barnevelders
3 speckled sussex
3 white orpingtons (2 are going to go to my vet who is going to vaccinate all chicks for mareks AND I had given one of these eggs to a friend to hatch and she is giving it back to me because I'll only be left with one and in case one doesn't make it or is a rooster, I'll still get one - she's a great friend, Hope all buttercups hatch cuz I'll give her one of those!

So on this day I've contemplated my new job as chick mom and without knowing a thing, because it was going to be Mabel's job, I am now to protect these fabulous new beings. So I really need help from all of my incredible BYCers. This is my revelation for the day.

I have a desk I was going to donate or give away on craigslist. I've pictured it below. I'm thinking I'm going to do a bit of butchery to the walls and come up with a new fab brooder and potentially a coop that can then be attached to my existing pen. I can give the pullets their own space till they can potentially handle themselves against the older girls. What do you guys think about this plan????

Last edited:
Most definitely a brooder there! I already see the possibilities! I would think you would keep the walls and just move the center wall (where the tower would go) out to close off the brooder. Voila!! Instant box!

Oh this is exciting!! Better hurry...you've only got 14 days right??

Day 8...tried candling last night...I really don't think I know what I'm doing...
smile.png

Some where clear, some had dark spots and on a few of the white ones I could see eyes. Oh and one had a blood ring (I guess that's dead?)

Do I remove any of them?

cheryl, I read all of Mabel's broody thread yesterday.
hugs.gif
I wondered what you were up to. I hadn't seen you, and hadn't seen Mabel's thread. Now I know. So sorry you lost her. She sounds like a great momma and pet. I'm anxious to follow this thread and have a good outcome for you.
fl.gif

Good morning,

I hope you're feeling a bit better today. I like the new thread name! What are the dimentions for the desk? It looks like it might be a little small if you get a good hatch.
fl.gif

Where are you planning to set the brooder up at? I use a 140 gallon stock tank in the garage which probably isn't practical for you. I've seen lots of post where folks call ahead to their local grocery and are able to pick up one of those large watermellon type carboard totes. For inside brooding or even in the garage I saw one the other day that use a swimming pool (I think) like you had for Mable along with a cheapy play type tent (they said $12) to make a pretty large brooder.

I'm so sad about how things worked out for Mable, but am once again amazed by this forum. I know none of the eggs you have in the bator (how cool was that?!) are Mables, but I hope you get a little Mabilene out of the batch.
fl.gif

Mabeleine love it

desk is about 3' x 5'. I've been trying to figure ou. How much space I need let's say I get 7 to 10 chicks. What is a good size? We have a room in the garage that van be heated with windows so they can get fresh. air and sun

I'm sorry to hear about Mabel.

I hope the eggs hatch well. I agree. It is too early to toss any. Unless they stink, it won't hurt anything to keep them in a bit longer to be sure.

Dark spot are good. Clear may not be but probrably are infertile. And the blood ring MAY be a early death. Hard to tell through words. Have pictures?

Back
Top Bottom