Mabel's Legacy-BABY PICTURES!!!!

OH it is a lovely sunny day...finally. I'm playing hooky at home and I let the girls out to free range, much to the dismay of the lawn....

Incubating...well it's been a very rough road for this batch - did I post that I just ordered the king suro 20??? and a very cool candler. I'm going for it!

The SLW gave up however I have two sicilian buttercups that are huge!!! woohoo. Doesn't look like much of anything else, but I'll wait and check again just before lockdown.

I'm trying to pick what I want to set on April 26. I have a biz trip so when I return I'll try again. These are the breeds I'm considering - just 2 eggs of each. ANY OPINIONS??

BLUE AMERAUCANA
AMERAUCANA/ARAUCANA hybrid
BLUE BIRCHEN MARAN
GOLDEN CUCKOO MARANS
BUFF BRAHMA STANDARD
BARRED ROCKS
WHITE ROCKS
SILVER LACED WYANDOTTE
SPECKLED SUSSEX
BARNEVELDER
WHITE ORPINGTON
AUSTRALORP
BUCKEYE
DELAWARE
JAVA
NEW HAMPSHIRE
FRIZZLES

I'll also be working on converting this "spa shed" into another coop that can sit at the end of our run. I plan to divide the run in half so the new girls can see the older, wiser girls. It's 3' x 4.5' and built really well, a new roof, a new floor, windows and doors, ramp nest boxes, perches...oh hmmm I thought this sounded easy!!!
ep.gif
But it will be fun
41441_dsc01158.jpg

Last edited:
do you have any thoughts on the list? I tried to keep to ones that are ok being in the run. I let the girls free range on the weekend and about 2 hours before sundown during the week, so I was concerned about breeds that don't fare well being confined

The majority of my flock is Barred Rock, although I have an assortment of 2 here, 3 there type flock, they all seem to get along fine when cooped up (dead of winter and noone wants to leave the coop-not even to go out into the run). However, although Barred Rocks are sweetie pies to me, they are very bossy to my other hens. That may just be my group though.

Oh I've got some bossy ones, so I'm familiar, the only ones I'm concerned about when it comes to bossiness are the orpingtons because they tend to be so docile, but hey that's the way of the chicken!!

well not really yet...I'm busy in my mind
caf.gif
but nothing big until this week. I have to dismantle the shed somehow and start the process tomorrow.

So this is sort of what I'm thinking...is it going to be enough room? what does everyone think?
41441_coop_layout.jpg

Last edited:
So how many did you end up putting in the incubator? Isn't lock down now??

Edited to suggest that maybe your run split should be lengthwise...so if they want to 'run' they'll have twice as much length to do it in

Last edited:
oh chicks 4 kids that could be a good idea though I'll have to change the door from senior girls to the run...hmmm

So yes lockdown tonight....

Most are clear, so do I take them out??????

What looks viable are

2-3 buttercups
2 speckled sussex
1 barnevelder

On the ones that are clear do you mean dark on one end and clear on the other? Or completely clear? I'm no expert at candling. The only thing I'm good at identifying is a rotten egg
barf.gif
. I didn't candle with my EE's brood until day 22.

Maybe you should post the question about the candling in the incubating and hatching section...you might get quicker and far better answers there...sad, but true...

Back
Top Bottom