Mac & Cheese, please!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

After gagging down a BOX of nuclear-orange mac & cheese the other night--I was thinking, how can hard can it be to MAKE mac & cheese??

So--any good recipes?

I don't have time to go to the store tonight--but I do have a box of elbow macaroni, cheddar, mozarella and parm cheese. I also have milk & eggs....

2. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    I think you make a white sauce (melt butter, add some flour, stir together and cook, add milk, cook and stir until thickened), add shredded cheese and stir until melted. Add the mixture to cooked pasta, then bake. Oh, don't forget to add salt and pepper. I used to make it, but first you have the pan with the sauce to wash, then the baking dish. I don't cook things that create that many dirty dishes. Maybe someone has a simplified version.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

thanks!

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Preheat oven to 350

in medium saucepan, melt

1 T butter

over Medium heat. Add

1 T flour

and whisk to create a paste. Let cook about a minute till golden brown, then slowly whisk in

1 cup low fat or whole milk

Cook 5 minutes, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Salt and pepper to taste. slowly add

1/2 cup or more of grated cheese (we like Cheddar. CAn add parmesan, jack, whatever... The original recipe calls for 1/2 cup but I sometimes add more...)

Meanwhile boil salted water and cook according to directions, just till al dente:

1/2 # elbow macaroni
    Drain paste, toss with sauce. Pour into greased ovenprood casserole pan. Sprinkle with buttered bread crumbs if desired, and another few spoonfuls of cheese

Bake 15-20 minutes.

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Just want to add a kids stamp of approval to my mom (SeaChick)'s recipie: Yummmmmm!

PS- I want to throw up when I eat day-glo macncheese like Kraft... blech!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2008
  6. Rare Feathers Farm

Thank you--that looks good. I will try that tonight!

7. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I bumped an old thread up for you with lots of recipes for homemade mac and cheese. I don't know to copy and past the threads. sorry.

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Thank you! I saw that!!!

9. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Quote:Funny this should come up today. After Church we went to a relatively nice restaurant, my daughter wants the mac & cheese from the kids menue for $4.95. It's a whole box of Kraft Mac & Cheese! Couldn't they at least make some good ole fashioned home made mac & cheese for $4.95??

10. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Quote:This is how my mom makes it.. and I could bust a gut eating it, it's so tasty!!
    Great comfort food!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by