1. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Right now is the begining of fall and I ALREADY have 1 broodie hen. So I have this white silkie hen named snow. For the past couple of days she has decided she wants to be an broodie. [​IMG] NO. The last 2 days I have been takeing her out of the coop. Today I decided to take away the ramp. [​IMG] It took her oh about 2 minutes to remember she has wings. [​IMG] to me. So I put an board in front of the door. [​IMG] She walked up the ramp and leaned on the board. [​IMG] ( How I felt [​IMG] ) I went in to get her and she puffed up and attacked me [​IMG] I took her out agin, this time I put the board up, an square box in front of the board in the door way, and the ramp on the bottom of the box to add weight. She has gone up that ramp an million times, and then turns around and gives me the stink eye. I did it! [​IMG] [​IMG] now she is walking around the coop looking for an way in! All the while cursing me out in chicken [​IMG] In total including the attack thats snow 3: me 1 [​IMG] Chickens are smarter then we give them credit for. [​IMG]
    Heres an pic of Snow. She is the highest hen in the pecking order, I wonder why??
    [​IMG]

I am putting this in later. So I had to unblock the coop so they could sleep, I cleaned it out, while I was in the door way Snow jumped up in between me and the bottom of the door, and went in the coop. [​IMG] I forgot to mention that she dosen't use the nest box, she just sits in the middle of the floor. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Sorry but that is a funny story. She is beautiful. I do hope though she did not hurt you in the attacks.

3. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Quote:I think its funney too. [​IMG] Snow is an purdy one. [​IMG] She didn't hurt me, she puffed up growled and pecked at me. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    My 2 silkies go broody every couple of weeks. The one is only broody iin the nest boxes. If I try to remove her to put her with eggs, she won't set.

Mmy Silkiie Mama is aa great setter, but EVIL. She is vicious and totally precise with her aim. Thiis being the 3rd or 4th time she's hatching, I'm starting to figure her out and we are getting along better. She will still strike to, I just know how to avoid it!

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    My one that I allow to raise babies and I have a very good understanding now. She knows what to expect from me and I know what to expect from her. She knows I'll make sure she can eat and not be bothered by a bully while she's in her "condition" and relies on me. I know what she'll do and allow for it. She only growls a little, a token growl now and only token objection when I insist she get up and out to poo and stretch a few minutes. But she never did peck me.

The others, well, sorry girls but it's the cage for you for a few days. I hate to do it but having them in a wire cage off the ground for around 3 days is the only way to break them.

Loved your story! Too funny!

6. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    My other broodie, is suppose to hatch today, I can hear the chicks! [​IMG] [​IMG] Snow will NOT use the nest boxes. [​IMG] So its 3 days... because this morning she was sitting agin. [​IMG] By broodie right now ice, is an nice broodie, Its my first hatch so I couldn't decide on where to put her.. so shes an GREAT settler [​IMG] So excited [​IMG] I, only herd one chick peeping should I be worried?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by