Made a mistake...is it a big one?

SandRun

Chirping
13 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Cincinnati
The last time I bought feed for my chickens I got 24% starter instead of the 20%, I don't know what I was thinking. On top of that I've fed them 1/2 the bag before I realized it. I have 10 Buff Orpingtons that are 7 1/2 weeks old. How big a deal is this? Should I abandon the remaining half bag, or is there something I can "cut" the remaining feed with to reduce the amount of protein in the feed?

Any help is appreciated.

Unfortunately the bag has a picture of what appears to be a baby chicken; however if you read it says it's for Turkeys, Chukar etc. The back panel says to feed to chickens until 10 weeks of age, so I guess it could be for roasters.....

Oh and the brand is Dumor

Go ahead and use it - it'll be fine. My BO's are almost a year old and I have one that is really thin. The vet recommended 24%-28% starter to bulk her up. The higher protein feed is for gamebirds/meatbirds but it won't hurt yours to finish this bag.

Your birds should be fine on 24%, gamefowl starter is about the same protein percentage. If you want add about 25% scratch to the food. If they free range they will eat what they need, like grass and weeds.

If your not going to use it up in a few weeks I'd start cutting it down. That's slightly higher for older chicks. I start mine on gamebird starter since I can't get unmedicated chick starter but the gamebird starter here is only 22% and by 12weeks they are either in the coop eating all 16% layer or I mix half and half. Partially just so the gamebird starter which is more expensive lasts longer.

Back
Top Bottom