Made a mistake...is it a big one?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SandRun, Apr 4, 2009.

1. SandRun

SandRun Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The last time I bought feed for my chickens I got 24% starter instead of the 20%, I don't know what I was thinking. On top of that I've fed them 1/2 the bag before I realized it. I have 10 Buff Orpingtons that are 7 1/2 weeks old. How big a deal is this? Should I abandon the remaining half bag, or is there something I can "cut" the remaining feed with to reduce the amount of protein in the feed?

Any help is appreciated.

2. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Maybe the higher protein is for meat birds?

3. SandRun

SandRun Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Unfortunately the bag has a picture of what appears to be a baby chicken; however if you read it says it's for Turkeys, Chukar etc. The back panel says to feed to chickens until 10 weeks of age, so I guess it could be for roasters.....

Oh and the brand is Dumor

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Go ahead and use it - it'll be fine. My BO's are almost a year old and I have one that is really thin. The vet recommended 24%-28% starter to bulk her up. The higher protein feed is for gamebirds/meatbirds but it won't hurt yours to finish this bag.

5. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Your birds should be fine on 24%, gamefowl starter is about the same protein percentage. If you want add about 25% scratch to the food. If they free range they will eat what they need, like grass and weeds.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

...and you could certainly begin to mix it with the feed you intended to get...

7. bantamsrus

bantamsrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Charlotte, MI
    I would too mix it with whatever you're going to switch to.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If your not going to use it up in a few weeks I'd start cutting it down. That's slightly higher for older chicks. I start mine on gamebird starter since I can't get unmedicated chick starter but the gamebird starter here is only 22% and by 12weeks they are either in the coop eating all 16% layer or I mix half and half. Partially just so the gamebird starter which is more expensive lasts longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by