1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Made a net..

Discussion in 'Quail' started by workindog, May 8, 2017.

1. workindog

workindog Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2015
    CT
    Is it common for quail to make a nest? In the wooden part of their cage i have have for bedding. One of them made a nice neat little nest.

Is it possible one of them could be starting to become broody? Or is this basic common behavior?

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    What type of bedding are you using? :)

If given access to hay I've seen a lot of hens make super shoddy nests by pulling it with their beak close to them and then tosses it behind their back but being broody usually means she needs several eggs in what she considers a good nest to trigger her.

You could try giving her dry grass clippings/hay in a corner or openish box and letting the eggs pile up til there's several and see what she does, may also entice her to have plastic pots of grass taller than her :)

When she has several eggs she could start sitting on them which you'll notice :p

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  3. workindog

Dec 11, 2015
    CT
    They have timothy hay in the wooden part of the hutch. The nest is pretty decent looking.. tho when i did have eggs, they were laid in the sand box.
    It'd be awesome if i got lucky enough for a broody quail!!! :)

4. workindog

Dec 11, 2015
    CT
    PS lol @ my fail with the title.. nest*

5. Dani xxx

Dani xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2016
    Farnham common bucks uk
    Mine make nest looking areas in the run they do lay in them but the eggs are never warm when I collect them so they haven't been sitting on them ! X :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by