Made hard boiled eggs, one of them is brown?

Fluffy_Feathers

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2017
Missouri
I've never seen this before. Why is this egg brown? Is this blood? Is there something wrong? I have a hen with a swollen abdomen that I don't quite know what the cause is, could this egg be from her? She's hasn't acted any different...

Edit: Wait she actually has been acting different. She's been sleeping in the nest box for the past month or two. She's now sometimes sleeping on the roost and sometimes the best box, but before that it was exclusively nest box

Attachments

• 20211125_121242.jpg
    20211125_121242.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211125_121233.jpg
    20211125_121233.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211125_120941.jpg
    20211125_120941.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211125_120856.jpg
    20211125_120856.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Edit: Wait she actually has been acting different. She's been sleeping in the nest box for the past month or two. She's now sometimes sleeping on the roost and sometimes the best box, but before that it was exclusively nest box
This is very concerning. Especially since this has been going on for months. Is she broody?

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive

The two tagged above may know what is going on.

Looks like possibly the blood spot may have colored the egg white.
Any more eggs she lays, I would open them up and see what they look like.

A swollen abdomen can be due to various reproductive problems. If she's moving about, eating/drinking, then I would keep watch on her and see how it goes.

This is very concerning. Especially since this has been going on for months. Is she broody?

@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive

The two tagged above may know what is going on.
She's actually had the swollen abdomen for a little over a year now. I've monitored her and tried to figure out what the cause is, but I've come up with nothing specific, just what it could be. Other than her sleeping patterns she's acted mostly normal, other than being the last out of the coop when I let them out. I'm keeping an eye on her but I just didn't know if that egg could be from her or if that's just normal.

She's not broody, and never has been.

Looks like possibly the blood spot may have colored the egg white.
Any more eggs she lays, I would open them up and see what they look like.

A swollen abdomen can be due to various reproductive problems. If she's moving about, eating/drinking, then I would keep watch on her and see how it goes.
That's what I was thinking it could be, but I didn't know if that much blood to color the whole egg was concerning. That's the biggest blood spot I've ever seen, or at least paid attention to. She's not laying currently anymore, but at the time I got that egg she may have been, but I don't know if that could've been hers. When (or if...) she starts laying again and I know for sure the egg is hers I'll look at it. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom