Made in China?? I think not!

SarcasmPhD

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
Somewhere in the Lone Star.
At the beginning of my venture into backyard chickens, because of the time factor, I was considering purchasing a pre-fabbed coop thingy. I asked a question about it in the forum, as well as, doing research online. Pros and cons of both. After many weeks, about 4 weeks total, this morning I moved my girls from their brooder confines to their new home. Made it all myself! I still have to set up the water system. Which I will do later today. But, I wanted to introduce them to their run, at the least. Most of this was made with pallets, and wood I obtained from a scrap wood pile at a construction site. Yes, they gave me permission. Said, "have at it". The roof, and most of the frame wood I purchased. Anyways, I built the feeder into the door based on the bird feeders I make. This is just a super-duper sized bird feeder. In fact, I need to trim the feeder tray down just a tad. The water will be from a 5 gallon bucket perched outside with PVC pipes running into the coop, and underneath using the water nipples. All gravity fed. I will post pics when I complete it. This coop came from just ideas I had in my head, along with ideas from here and YouTube. So, whaddya think??

Well done!

Will you have bedding in the coop? It looks like the feeder tray sits pretty close to floor level if that is the feeder in the picture - I ask about bedding as the birds will do a lot of digging about in bedding and quickly fill a feeder that is below chest level.

Last edited:
that's awesome! it's hard to beat 'free' and 'cheap' when you're working on a project! I've learned to check the oops stacks, the cull pile and ask if there's any 'slightly damaged and discounted' when I go to home depot.

other day I was in there and got a 2x10 PT long enough to make the two steps for accessing my coop for absolutely nothing! it was broken on both ends, had a bit of a rough edge down one side, they'd cut it in half and stuck both pieces in one of the trash cans. I asked the guy if I could have it, he checked and said exactly what they told you, 'anything in the trash can, have at it"

you did an awesome job on that tractor!

Back
Top Bottom