1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Made the mistake of going to TSC...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shay1327, May 5, 2009.

1. Shay1327

Shay1327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Franklinville, NY
    Well, I made the mistake of going to TSC to pick up another waterer and to see if they had any baby ducks. Not only did I get the 2 baby ducks I wanted but I walked out with 4 pullets (gotta make up that 6). My daughter picked out 2 Barred Rock chicks and my niece picked out 2 mystery chicks. I have posted a few pictures below of one of the mystery chicks. The other has the same markings but is a little darker. Any help would be much appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Hehehe! You know that place is a trap!! I don't know what kind that chick is, but it sure is cute![​IMG]

3. dizzychicken

dizzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    looks like a little welsummer or a speckled sussex

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Leg color is throwing me off. What color are they? Could be a brown leghorn as well or the possibility of a partridge rock. What hatchery does your TSC order from? That is always a good way to rule out a few breeds.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It is a cutie...LOL I do not think a PR...mine did not look like that...I do not own wellies or SS so I cannot say what the chicks look like.

6. Shay1327

Shay1327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Franklinville, NY
    Thanks to all for the replies. I'm thinking Brown Leghorn too. I asked the TSC guy where they order from and of course he was absolutely clueless. They also had marked some Cornish X's as golden Comets. I explained that he had it wrong there is no mistaking those Birdzilla's for the other (these looked to be about a week old) and he had no idea and said "a chicken is a chicken".

On top of not knowing what these two mystery chicks are my lovely husband stopped by a hardware store on the ride back in (he's a truckdriver) and decided to take the last lonely chick they had. He has the same markings as the one above but is a very light tan color with black chipmunk markings. The guy told him he was either a RIR or Barred Rock because that was all he ordered (this little guy must be a cast away). I'll try and get some pics up of him later, my husband has affectionately named him Peterbilt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by