Magazine suggestions?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jaye, Sep 21, 2008.

1. jaye

jaye Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Waterboro, Maine
    Good day!
    I'm looking for a good magazine for the small farmer. I'm interested in poultry-only (free range) or something geared toward small scale meat production. Pigs, goats, etc.

I think this is only my second post so I should introduce myself? My husband and I have four boys and we live on 72 acres in the woods of southwestern Maine. We are transitioning from raising our own meat to raising for market (from the farm and at farmer's markets). We have chickens, pigs and horses.

thanks for any suggestions,
    Jaye

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  2. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Countryside & Small Stock Journal

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you found us.

I completely agree on Countryside ... it's a great magazine with real people writing in to give real, everyday information.

It does cover a lot of other things than just chickens and small farm animals though. Try one... I think you'll like it! [​IMG]

4. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Hobby Farms is another. I just bought one at the farm supply store and am reading it now.

5. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Quote:I agree too.. It goes over all the animals and includes gardening.. Found some really useful info in there.

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
  7. pdpatch

pdpatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Hastings, Nebraska
  8. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Greygoose, I just spent a little morning tea-time looking over Practical Poultry and Smallholder online, and they are just wonderful.

I am going to see if my library is able to order these, as $75 subscriptions seem a little steep to me just now. If not, I may just spring for it and order em. They are great. Thanks for the tip, Greygoose!

And remember, everyone, to love your local library!

9. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Sorry, I guess you are really Greyfields! We can probably learn something about the brain from the fact that I've sorted the goose pic into your name all this time. . . .

Thanks, Greyfields.

10. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    I disagree about the usefulness of Hobby Farms.

I find it sort of "Martha Stewart Living" for readers who have (or fantasize about) an alpaca lawn ornament for their slightly-more-rural-than-average McMansion.

It's a Bowtie publication, and that publishing company is totally advertiser driven.

I do like Backyard Poultry.

I will try Countryside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by