Magazine suggestions?

jaye

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Waterboro, Maine
Good day!
I'm looking for a good magazine for the small farmer. I'm interested in poultry-only (free range) or something geared toward small scale meat production. Pigs, goats, etc.

I think this is only my second post so I should introduce myself? My husband and I have four boys and we live on 72 acres in the woods of southwestern Maine. We are transitioning from raising our own meat to raising for market (from the farm and at farmer's markets). We have chickens, pigs and horses.

thanks for any suggestions,
Jaye

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Glad you found us.

I completely agree on Countryside ... it's a great magazine with real people writing in to give real, everyday information.

It does cover a lot of other things than just chickens and small farm animals though. Try one... I think you'll like it!
big_smile.png

Greygoose, I just spent a little morning tea-time looking over Practical Poultry and Smallholder online, and they are just wonderful.

I am going to see if my library is able to order these, as $75 subscriptions seem a little steep to me just now. If not, I may just spring for it and order em. They are great. Thanks for the tip, Greygoose!

And remember, everyone, to love your local library!

Sorry, I guess you are really Greyfields! We can probably learn something about the brain from the fact that I've sorted the goose pic into your name all this time. . . .

Thanks, Greyfields.

I disagree about the usefulness of Hobby Farms.

I find it sort of "Martha Stewart Living" for readers who have (or fantasize about) an alpaca lawn ornament for their slightly-more-rural-than-average McMansion.

It's a Bowtie publication, and that publishing company is totally advertiser driven.

I do like Backyard Poultry.

I will try Countryside.

Back
Top Bottom