Maggot infestation in open pustule below vent, cleaned but wound open, what now?

sbsue

Hatching
Oct 23, 2021
Thanks in advance for your advice! I found my hen's back end covered in droppings and under that a pustule filled with maggots. I washed them and the area out thoroughly but the open/affected tissue is the size of a large egg, a little blood and slime. What can I do to keeep it clean and get rid of any other maggots and their kids?! She is isolated in the bathroom. Has any one used BluKote??

Attachments

• Hen pustule wound.jpg
    Hen pustule wound.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 13
Do not use BluKote on this, because it is for more mild injuries, and it stings of alcohol. You can soak her bottom in warm water with 3 tablespoonsful of table salt per gallon of water. Dissolve the salt before soaking her. That will help to get the maggots off of her. Any remaining maggots will need to be removed with tweezers, and a magnifying glass may help to see them. Repeat the bath again later or in the morning to get the new ones hatching out. The maggots will continue for about 24 hours. Chlorhexidene or a little Betadine may be added to water. After bathing, and getting her dried off, apply plain antibiotic ointment to her wound. Keep her separated in a dog crate or basket with a clean towel or puppy pads under her.

Thank you for the information! After 24 hours the wound is still clear of maggots. I was informed to use Manuka Honey Gel, which has so far kept them at bay and the wound seems to be drying out and tightening up. My concern now is whether she will need antibiotics or stitches to close it. Fingers crossed!

Poor thing, I wish I had advice but I haven’t got any experience with this type of thing. I definitely wouldn’t wanna give you false information. Best wishes for your little chooken!

Back
Top Bottom