1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Maggots attacking hen again.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GreenwoodFarms, Sep 25, 2011.

1. GreenwoodFarms

GreenwoodFarms New Egg

Jul 22, 2011
    My hen has been attacked by maggots again, this time I didn't get to them as quickly as I did last time, so there is more surface damage this time. My red hen has a problem with having a "poopy butt" and thus attracts the flies that lay the eggs and the maggots that feast on her flesh. I've washed them away and put a topical ointment on her again. I'm wondering if there is something else I can do besides trimming her vent feathers to ward this off from happening again? I can't imagine its normal to have to keep up this kind of maintenance? Advice or tips?

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Maybe you could look into some of the salves they use on horses?? I have read some really sad stories about maggots on chickens. So far I haven't had to deal with the problem. When the weather was really hot here one of my birds had loose stool and poopy butt. She got a trip to the bath tub every day for a bit, until it wasn't a problem any more.

3. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I thought that maggots only ate necrotic tissue. I would check and clean her thoroughly and get some of that fly repellent ointment. I think its called Swat. I would trim the feathers so you can always have a good view too! Hope this helps! Good luck with her!

4. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Keep cleaning her butt but if it doesnt get better I'm sorry to say the right thing to do might be to cull her, or take her to a vet.

5. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    One thing I would do firstly is to clip her feathers off around her vent, that leaves little for her poop to cling to.

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Keep some soap and a towel by a hose bib so you can keep those poopy butts clean.

7. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Poopy butt in adults can sometimes be prevented with apple cider vinegar in the water. Works like a charm on my Delaware hen (no one else gets a poobottom but her)! [​IMG]

I'm sure there's an ACV thread on here somewhere...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by