Maggots attacking hen again.

GreenwoodFarms

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
My hen has been attacked by maggots again, this time I didn't get to them as quickly as I did last time, so there is more surface damage this time. My red hen has a problem with having a "poopy butt" and thus attracts the flies that lay the eggs and the maggots that feast on her flesh. I've washed them away and put a topical ointment on her again. I'm wondering if there is something else I can do besides trimming her vent feathers to ward this off from happening again? I can't imagine its normal to have to keep up this kind of maintenance? Advice or tips?

Maybe you could look into some of the salves they use on horses?? I have read some really sad stories about maggots on chickens. So far I haven't had to deal with the problem. When the weather was really hot here one of my birds had loose stool and poopy butt. She got a trip to the bath tub every day for a bit, until it wasn't a problem any more.

I thought that maggots only ate necrotic tissue. I would check and clean her thoroughly and get some of that fly repellent ointment. I think its called Swat. I would trim the feathers so you can always have a good view too! Hope this helps! Good luck with her!

Keep some soap and a towel by a hose bib so you can keep those poopy butts clean.

Poopy butt in adults can sometimes be prevented with apple cider vinegar in the water. Works like a charm on my Delaware hen (no one else gets a poobottom but her)!
smile.png

I'm sure there's an ACV thread on here somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom