Maggots in a wound... I need some advice

I also agree to flush them out. if you can put the normal saline into a syringe and shoot it at the maggots to blast them out of the wound. Cover the wound with neosporin. Keep looking every day for more maggots and blast them whe you see them. Could you possibly get the bird into a sink and irrigate the wounds in the sink? This might work better to clean the wound. Do it twice a day if possible. Good luck with your roo.

How's it working out for you? My personal preference is to avoid iodine as it will create an environment where there is a layer of dead tissue which leads to more scarring and slower healing very similar to hydrogen peroxide. Vaseline keeps the wound lubricated and provides a barrier against more maggots as flys do not like it and won't lay their eggs there. Whatever solution you go with though, I wish you the very best of luck with your roo. :)

I also agree to flush them out. if you can put the normal saline into a syringe and shoot it at the maggots to blast them out of the wound. Cover the wound with neosporin. Keep looking every day for more maggots and blast them whe you see them. Could you possibly get the bird into a sink and irrigate the wounds in the sink? This might work better to clean the wound. Do it twice a day if possible. Good luck with your roo.

I would do this several times a day. I had the same problem a couple years ago. I had no idea they were eating him alive. Which is what ultimately happened. :( Get them gone asap!

Thank you all for your comments. I actually clean it several times and now the maggots are gone. And I am putting Neosporin after I clean. But I am agree with @Newmamabear that the hydrogen peroxide makes the skin horrible looking and harder to heal soon the same with iodine. I am hoping he heals soon but I think it will be slower bc he is an old roo

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments. I actually clean it several times and now the maggots are gone. And I am putting Neosporin after I clean. But I am agree with @Newmamabear that the hydrogen peroxide makes the skin horrible looking and harder to heal soon the same with iodine. I am hoping he heals soon but I think it will be slower bc he is an old roo

best of luck, I'm sure with your attentions he will be better off :)

The peroxide and iodine will probably irritate the skin but not do much to get rid of the maggots. Stick with normal saline or regular water. I hope your roo is feeling better. BYC is such a valuable resource!!

Hello everyone. I can gladly inform you that the maggots are gone and it looks like he is getting better, but I was wondering if he can have maggots inside if from the outside looks clean? It also lookss like he has diarrhea and he's comb is pale. Maybe I am just seen things bc I am worried. Bc my husband says his comb is fine. But anyways, I hope I can have a comment on that too

Yup there can be maggots on the inside. Can you post pics? Is he eating and drinking normally? Yours are our only eyes here that have seen your birdie in health and sickness so trust yourself :) if his comb is pale to you, it's very likely that it is pale. This may indicate internal bleeding. He might just be recovering though so if he's acting normally then I wouldn't worry too much just keep an eye on it. The diarrhea I don't like. Is he on poultry vitamins or acv in his water? If not I would try adding the acv, two tablespoons to one gallon. It will help the good bacteria in his system to flourish which will kill off the bad.
Best of luck Palm

Thank you very much. Why do you say good and bad? How can the maggots be good?@Newmamabear
Maggots only eat dead first, let them be. Hdck, people use them now for treatment, there's not a bad thing unless on a dead carcass stinking up yard, but a few on the bird will help him, don't kill them. Once nothing dead left, they'll disappear,

Back
Top Bottom