Maggots in a wound... I need some advice

18palm

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2016
My roo has had a wound for a while. I been treating him with saline water and Neosporin but yesterday I found maggots on the wound so I freaked out and I clean it very well so I thought the problem was gone and today I found out more in the same spot and now he has on other spots too. So I don't know if they grow inside or what. How can I kill them? Is he going to get better or is it better to let him go?

Please somebody help me out here

How? I have done it with water and soap and also saline solution but nothing helps. Do the maggots grow inside? Or once I remove all of them will stop having?

My roo has had a wound for a while. I been treating him with saline water and Neosporin but yesterday I found maggots on the wound so I freaked out and I clean it very well so I thought the problem was gone and today I found out more in the same spot and now he has on other spots too. So I don't know if they grow inside or what. How can I kill them? Is he going to get better or is it better to let him go?

Please somebody help me out here

Maggots are good and bad. If you need them dead, Vaseline works well as it's thick and greasy and they suffocate. Just flush them out best as you can with some salt water with a bit of baking soda in it and then apply a generous gob and try to work it into the wound. The ones left remaining will die and the Vaseline will help seal the wound from more. I hope this helps, good luck

Maggots are good and bad. If you need them dead, Vaseline works well as it's thick and greasy and they suffocate. Just flush them out best as you can with some salt water with a bit of baking soda in it and then apply a generous gob and try to work it into the wound. The ones left remaining will die and the Vaseline will help seal the wound from more. I hope this helps, good luck
thank u for helping me

Thank you very much. Why do you say good and bad? How can the maggots be good?@Newmamabear

I thought they were bad for the wound so that is why i said that I need them death

Yeah if there's a lot of necrotic tissue they'll eat it but that usually only done on purpose with sterile maggots, although I've seen on some livestock it actually helps debride the tissue to where it's only living tissue left. It's a finicky technique however and the maggots are enclosed to the wound and nothing else is allowed to get in and land on the wound and walk on it with thier dirty little feet. After the maggots have debrided the tissue to a healthy pink, they are flushed out and a dressing is applied. It might work for chickens but pretty tough to work around feathers. Fur is much easier.

Well. The thing is that there not clean maggots. I guess they are from a fly so I don't think they are healthy. But I dont know. I hope they helped but I already flush them out. Now I am afraid of thinking that the tissue is dead and will not get better. I don't know what to do anymore

Getting rid of them is probably best whether it's flushing them out or pulling them out. Usually the maggot trick only works on livestock .. They're much large animals with more surface space when it comes to wounds .. I would just continue to flush the wound with diluted iodine and apply some triple antibiotic ointment to it and just keep an out :)

Back
Top Bottom