Magic Egg Laying Potion? YOU MUST READ!

ldrchickens

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys! I am back with some cool info I discovered this last week! I posted a while back about putting together a spice rub to mix into your chickens feed to boost their health overall. Well I finally went out and bought the last couple spices and herbs to put together my "Spice Rub" (LOL) and started feeding about 5 days ago! The mix includes Cayenne Pepper, Cinnamon, Oregano, Black Pepper, and Thyme just to name a few. During my research of the health effects of each individual spice and herb I came a cross a lot of conversation over whether or not Cayenne pepper can boost egg laying in hens. There was a bunch of Yes's and No's to answer this topic. WELL... I am now a believer that it does! Before adding it to their feed I was getting anywhere from 1 egg to 3 eggs daily from 9 Hens! After about 3 days of feeding it I have gotten 6 or 7 eggs for the past three days!!! In three days I got just as many eggs if not more then i was getting in a whole week! So I don't know if this was just a coincident that 4 more hens started laying or if the cayenne did something to kick them in to laying! The only down side is since feeding them the spices I have notices some diarrhea. I will keep an eye on it and if the runny poop doesn't stop I will lower the amount I am giving or might just have to stop completely. Only time will tell!

With daylight increasing my egg production is starting to explode again this past week... with no supplements...

I also feed Purina FR, no treats... and indeed my Silkie hatch results showed some birds either don't process or absorb things as well as others.

I rather us nutri drench or Poultry Cell than a bunch of spices. Get real bang for my buck!

Thanks for sharing though! :pop

That would lead me to believe they were deficient in Vitamin A, as that's really the only thing cayenne has going for it.
So what would be wrong to cause this? I feed Purina flock raiser crumbles so is this not a good food choice? Lacking too much? The crumbles are over 90% of their daily diet.

I do pick up some red pepper flake when the big jars are on sale for $1 in the bin at the farm store and try to remember to give them some. They like it, doesn't hurt. I do want to get some Nutri-Drench at some point though, especially if I'm going to breed in the winter next year.
I like nutri drench for fresh shipped chicks... but the Poultry Cell appears to be a far superior product with regards to what all it provides. :)

That’s great you are getting more eggs!

With only a few hens, over only a few days, and at the same time as light beginning to increase, I would be inclined to credit the sunlight. Birds will naturally begin to increase laying with increased light.

The spices are not likely to hurt, and may provide additional benefits, such as Vit A, so keep adding them to the feed if you are seeing benefit.

More daylight equals more eggs. I seriously doubt your spice mixture had anything at all to do with your increased egg production and it was only coincidental to the increasing daylight.
Cayenne/red pepper flake CAN have something to do with it, if the birds are already lacking Vitamin A. It won't make them lay more eggs than they normally would IF they are normally getting all the vitamins they need.

Daylight is the huge aspect, though.

Back
Top Bottom