1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Magpie Ducklings and Privett hatchery

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Dec 13, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
  2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    What quality magpies do they have?

3. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I don't see any information on quality classifications. I doubt they offer show quality birds. Mine are awfully pretty, to me, but I am not interested in showing.

4. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    magpies are a difficult color pattern to breed for, and with mainstream hatcheries they often only take color into consideration for color based breeds. Privett is not known for excellent stock either like metzer or holderread are, I suspect you'll get some seriously watered down magpies from them. At only $4.75 for high quality ducklings and good maggies being difficult to come by I would go for holderreads on magpies.

But hey, discount feed store birds are a pleasure all their own. I suspect my mismarked blue swedish, mallard and cayuga came from privett and I am not unhappy with them.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  5. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Privett has HORRIBLE customer service, nonexistant actually, and many others here have had the same experience with them. So I would never again deal with them and if I needed something that they have, I would pay a bit extra and order from welp who drop ships from Privett since I have heard Welp has nicer people and service. But Ideal has all the same breeds and even more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by