Magpies are eating all my eggs- help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Heiko27, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Heiko27

Heiko27 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    So I moved to the country a year ago. I expected predators, but not like this. I have a free range flock, that free ranges on about an acre by my house. The magpies have memorized all our habits and the chickens behavior- like they are always stalking the chickens in the trees. No matter where they lay, there is a magpie, feet away. It knows an egg is coming. Some chickens and ducks bury them, the magpies are smelling them out. I go out four times a day at least and scare them off. They are not scared of anything! I have ten hens that I know are laying, because every once in a while I do get an egg. But it's getting worse. On top of that they are locked up at night in a railroad car- which is rather old and warped and has several layers. I have patched up all the big holes. But the eggs keep dissappearing at night. I know something else is getting them at night. But the magpies are my main problem. I have set live traps a billion times, in their trail lines, with many different baits, covered up the trap to make it dark, and so forth. Nothing.
    I finally got some other traps. Tonight is the second night, but the magpies still managed to get the bait out without setting it off. Shooting them takes time and I just have a cheap pellet gun that of course you have to reload every time, tipping off the magpies and making them smarter. I am going to order a larsen trap when I have the money.
    It's so frustrating, because where I lived before nothing bothered chickens so much and I had a little business. I don't know what else to do. Anyone have advice? The magpies surround my house, watching everything, I already have two dogs- they can't keep up. There is no food left out or anything.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Secured coop and run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by