Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

I thought I'd post a pic of my brooder that I use right after I take chicks out of the incubator.

It's a cage, wrapped on the bottom with a trash bag, wrapped in towels on the sides and it has a 100 watt light shining overhead. I use a ton of clothespins to keep everything attached.

The cage floor is covered with newspapers, lots of grit and has chick starter sprinkled around.

I put in a thermometer to make sure the chicks are warm enough and of course a waterer.

After brooding, the cage goes back to being a transport cage. It's easy, cheap and sets up quickly.

How tall is your cage?... it looks like they could get a tad warm in that.

I'm back to to not so good news, after all my excitement yesterday. No new chicks this morning. The two I had pipping and zipping last night were still at it this morning. One working slowly to get out the other one had foam all around it and it was having trouble breathing, So against better judgment I pulled it to help a little. It is still in me membrane not doing anything. I will keep an eye one it. Congrates to all who are having great hatches.
Sounds like the humidity is high.

So when do you give up on a hatch? I have 150 eggs in my bator and they went into lockdown Wednesday. I've only had 4 hatch and I lost one. No more pips that I can see.

I think I'd candle and see what's happening. Look an inch or two to the left or right of shadows, as our peripheral vision is more sensitive to tiny movements. You can sometimes see shadows moving this way when you can't if you're looking dead-on.

Put the eggs to your cheek. If you confirm live ones, they feel warm to your cheek- the dead ones aren't creating body heat and feel a bit cooler.

Happy Easter!!!
jumpy.gif

Quote: I did have a huge jump in that after I couldn't get it past 35%. I figure out it was the shelve liners, I had it overlapping, when I cut it down humidity jumped to 85% got it down, shut closet door, went to work came home it was back up again I just left it. We'll see what happens, I do have one cutie waiting for someone to plat with

So when do you give up on a hatch? I have 150 eggs in my bator and they went into lockdown Wednesday. I've only had 4 hatch and I lost one. No more pips that I can see.

There's been a lot of stories in this group of poor hatch rates, and I've been practically in tears over them all (I'm a total sap, I admit it). However, your statistics (4/150?!) literally makes me sick to my stomach. I am so sorry.

My eggs are still doing nothing, which is good. They aren't due to hatch til Tuesday. Reading about all of your hatches makes me anxious, and I keep checking on them. In all seriousness, pipping now would be disastrous for me- I'm supposed to transport the eggs back to school tomorrow morning, and I'd flip out if I had a pipped egg that I had to expose to that.

Happy Easter everybody!! He has risen!!

No pips yet...But congrats to everyone who has fuzzy chicks hatch!! :ya

Sorry to all who have lost chicks and eggs. :(

Back
Top Bottom